Open Source Support Engineer
Engineering – Systems Engineering /
10up is looking for an Open Source Support Engineer to join our Open Source Practice, focusing on our library of open source solutions and their users, along with bridging between the needs of our client-facing team and the priorities of the open source software we use every day.
You might be a good fit for this role if
- You take pride in figuring out why a user is unhappy and turning their feelings around through good communication and realizing solutions.
- You feel strongly about clearly defining problems before working through solutions.
- You’ve had some experience maintaining an open source library or plugin.
- You’re comfortable researching and understanding code history and decision-making processes using tools like Git and GitHub. Bonus if you’ve ever called it “code archaeology”.
- You’ve participated in a WordPress core release cycle.
- You enjoy communicating and working asynchronously on platforms like Slack and Teamwork.
- You thrive working with a small agile team in a fully remote, distributed environment.
- Respond to, triage, escalate, and resolve user questions on various forums, including the WordPress.org plugin repository and GitHub source code repositories. Responses range from acknowledgement of receipt to documentation of solutions to creating patches.
- Maintain and update various 10up open source solutions based on triaged reports and roadmaps. Technical tools used include HTML, CSS, JS, React, PHP, WordPress, and Git.
- Advising project teams and engineers who have integration issues with both internal and external open source projects. This includes collaborating on near-term solutions and keeping a pulse on reported issues to update the team on relevant changes and fixes. For example, noting that a project team has been having issues with a certain API, reporting the issues upstream, and notifying the project team when the API has been fixed and any workarounds can be removed.
- Familiarity with the WordPress ecosystem, e.g. knowledge of popular tools, plugins, frameworks, best practices, and conventions.
- Familiarity with community management on GitHub and WordPress.org.
- Comfortable managing a local environment (e.g., WP Local Docker, wp env, Local by Flywheel) for testing plugins, themes, and client sites.
- Comfortable working in an asynchronous, distributed team with strong communication skills using tools like Slack, Teamwork, GitHub, and Gmail.
- Ability to communicate professionally with technical and non-technical colleagues and clients.
- Proficiency in verbal and written English.
Nice to have
- Experience working for demanding or enterprise-level clients.
- Evidence of contribution to the broader open web community.
- Remote working experience appreciated.
10up has been making the web better by finely crafting websites and tools for content creators since 2011. With ~200 experts in digital strategy and management, software engineering, user experience and interactive design, cloud infrastructure, and audience and revenue optimization; we’re big enough to conquer any challenge, and small enough to care. 10up is committed to the ideal of a diverse and inclusive workplace, welcoming anyone and everyone who shares and lives our core business values. We look forward to connecting with you!