Product Design Lead
REMOTE US (CT/ET time zones) /
R&D – Design /
Full Time Exempt
Our continuous performance management software has quickly become one of the most popular People Ops products in the Mid Market. Thanks to its innovative functionality and embodiment of our Best-Self philosophy, our solution is supporting employee development in ever-larger enterprises in more markets around the world.
To ensure our solution remains best in class, we are seeking a Lead Product Designer to provide design strategy and solution support for the work within their portfolio group. This role is able to influence high-level product strategy, help prioritize projects for their portfolio whilst mentoring other designers. You will collaborate closely with your Portfolio Group Product Manager (“GPM”) and Tech Lead partners. This role requires confidence in and passion for developing only the highest-quality solutions for complex enterprise problems. Not only do you care about having a meaningful impact on 15Five’s business, but you’re also invested in helping individuals on your team grow into their best selves through coaching, regular 1-on-1s, and feedback in line with our core values.
AREAS OF FOCUS
Portfolio Leadership and Strategy
Portfolio Design Strategy and Mentorship
Squad Project Execution and Delivery
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Work with your Portfolio GPM, Tech Lead and R&D Leadership to align on high level priorities for your Portfolio
- Closely partner with your GPM to envision and influence high-level product strategy and priorities for the Portfolio.
- Collaborate with your GPM and Tech Lead on team planning, communication and expectation setting for Portfolio initiatives.
- Ensure design quality and cohesion across projects executed by the squads within the Portfolio.
- Offer strategic support and mentoring to Designers in the Portfolio. This means frequently pair designing in early ideation and wire-framing stages and giving feedback through to the final design phase
- Along-side Portfolio Design Lead you will be a dedicated squad product designer. You will work holistically across the user experience from facilitating research to designing the information architecture and delivering high fidelity designs.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- 5+ years of experience as a Product or UX Designer
- 2+ years of experience as a Senior Designer or Design Lead
- Highly skilled in research, complex problem solving, information architecture, and workflows
- Ability to run research sessions, analyze data, and define insights that drive decision making
- Strong communication skills during complex projects, design critiques, and feedback sessions
- Ability to balance user needs and business needs
- Experience advocating for design across the organization
- Ability to coach others and inspire breakthrough thinking
- Practice and promote radical candor, with the ability to help others apply feedback effectively
DESIRED IMPACT BY 3 MONTHS
- Complete new-hire onboarding
- Understand expectations for your role and Best-Self Management
- Understand target-customer needs and behaviors
- Deepen knowledge around your portfolio’s strategy, OKRs, features, and personas
- Understand portfolio’s ways of working and build the foundation for strong relationships with your squad with Best-Self Kickoffs and virtual coffees
- Absorb and understand your Portfolio’s roadmap
- Begin contributing to your squad by conducting research, designing experiences and supporting engineers on your team to ship enhancements and features.
DESIRED IMPACT BY 6 MONTHS
- Regularly design and ship new features or enhancements with your squad
- Contribute to the design discipline, proposing ways to improve processes, tools, and content
- Deepen knowledge around 15Five’s product, best practices, and HR Tech as a whole
- Contribute to team growth by interviewing and onboarding new designers
- Provide regular constructive feedback to the design team
DESIRED IMPACT BY 12 MONTHS
- Deepen understanding of and relationships with target customers
- Serve as a key player in your squad to drive the roadmap forward
- Contribute towards the future vision and roadmap for your key functional areasImpact customers via NPS and other key engagement KPIs through major squad initiatives
- Discover your Zone of Genius and embody your best self
- Become a safe, reliable source of support for your designers as measured by upward reviews
SAMPLE WEEK IN THE LIFE
- Monday: Start the week with the company Boost to hear important announcements, review the week’s priorities, and catchup with your portfolio partners. Join the product team huddle for team training. Finish off the day catching up on design deliverables for a squad project.
- Tuesday: Join your squad huddle to discuss and share in-progress designs. Shared those designs during Crit and then spend the day doing deep work based on squad feedback or other work related to your design projects
- Wednesday: Facilitate 2 customer calls with your portfolio GPM to test out a hypothesis for next quarters initiative. Follow-up by running a design studio for cross-functional partners.
- Thursday: Have your 1-1 with your Manager and then catchup with your Portfolio GPM on yesterdays research. Spend the day synthesizing and putting together a presentation for your portfolio leads. Finish the day in an R&D Leaders sync with Product & Design Leadership.
- Friday: Start by reviewing priorities and discussing with your squad PM what needs to get done by end of day, address those items, write your 15Five, and wrap up with a virtual coffee with a colleague
15FIVE UNIVERSAL ATTRIBUTES
- Open to vulnerability, self-reflection, and candid feedback to grow personally and professionally
- Curious and committed to innovation, continuous learning, and growth
- Self-motivated, self-responsible, and self-accountable
15Five is a people and performance platform that instantly upgrades each and every manager. It works by combining employee engagement, continuous performance management, and manager effectiveness software with education, services, and community. At the heart of our approach is Best-Self Management, an evidence-inspired strategy for cultivating world-class managers and transforming organizations by unlocking every employee’s potential. With our holistic solution, CEOs, HR leaders, and managers create highly-engaged, high-performing organizations.
We work with over 2,000 forward-thinking companies that use our solution to bring out the best in their people, including big brand names like Credit Karma, WP Engine, Adobe, and Fitbit. 15Five is backed by Next 47, Origin Ventures, Point Nine Capital, and Matrix Partners. Its headquarters are based in San Francisco, with offices in New York and Raleigh, NC. The company is working 100% remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We’re excited to continue building out a diverse team that prioritizes inclusivity and celebrates everyone’s unique identity. To support our people, 15Five believes in flexible working arrangements, non-gendered Parental Leave, Flexible Time Off, Sick Time Off and extensive training and development including but not limited to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Best-Self Management, strengths discovery and alignment and Manager specific development opportunities.
Research shows that while men apply for jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, womxn and other underrepresented folx tend to only apply when they check every box. So, if you think you have what it takes but don't necessarily meet every single point listed below, please apply - you could be exactly who we are looking for!