Construction Cost Estimator (Contract)
Chicago, IL / Remote /
Construction Estimation /
1Build is a construction service marketplace which connects builders with the country’s best estimators to prepare quality takeoffs and cost estimates.
Our clients subscribe to our estimation service and send us construction plans for which they want us prepare takeoffs and estimates. When we have projects for you, we'll let you know. If you have time, you can accept and get paid by the hour! If you're busy or you just feel like taking the day off, no worries, you can turn down the project! We’ll send you other projects at a later time.
If this sounds good, read below to learn more the role.
What you’ll do:
- Conduct quantity takeoffs for all trades and review project plans/specifications to gain a complete understanding of the projects scope
- Monitor all addendums, scope changes and breakouts to ensure they are incorporated into the estimate
- Communicate with 1build concerning any issues with project specifications, project scope, value engineering possibilities, timelines or other items pertaining to the estimate
- Proficiently read and interpret blueprints and technical documents in order to prepare estimates
- Conduct research to obtain data on labor costs, materials, production times, etc.
- Promote construction best practices and product innovation
- 5+ years experience in construction estimation with a general contractor or prominent subcontractor, or related experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, or relevant field experience
- Familiarity with industry specific takeoff software such as Bluebeam, Revit, Planswift, On-Screen Takeoff, etc.
- Familiarity with national cost databases such as RSMeans and National Cost Estimator
- Certified Professional Estimator (CPE) would be an asset but not required
- Exceptional communication skills and an ability to contextualize construction concepts to others in unrelated disciplines
- An innovator’s approach and a desire to challenge traditional construction practices
- Thoroughness, reliability, excellent organizational skills, and a desire and ability to work remotely and independently