Director, HR Business Partners
Remote (US or Canada)
G&A – HR /
Full Time Remote
We all have important information we need to manage, and protecting it should be easy. Over 100,000 businesses and millions of people log in to 1Password to unlock smart, simple access to everything they care about. Our vision is to create a safer, simpler digital future for everyone, and our culture values simplicity, honesty and a human-centric approach to solving problems. Come help us unlock peace of mind so everyone can stay safer online.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Director, HR Business Partners (HRBPs) to lead and oversee our growing HRBP team. This role will serve as a key partner with various departments, ensuring that our People initiatives and programs support 1Password’s goals while addressing the unique needs of each client group. Reporting to the VP, Employee Experience, you’ll play a key role in inspiring ‘Bits to do their best work throughout their tenure, act as a key advisor to business partners, and be an active member of our HR Leadership team.
The Director, HRBP is both a strategic and operational role that requires a seasoned professional with exceptional judgment, strong interpersonal and influencing skills, and a deep understanding and knowledge of human resources best practices and principles in a distributed and high growth organization. This role will be critical in aligning our “put people first” values and strategies with business objectives while fostering positive relationships across all levels of the organization. You’ll lead a team of dedicated, enthusiastic, kind HR professionals who support our ‘Bits in all manner of ways.
What we're looking for:
- Extensive HR experience, with at least several years in a managerial role, managing other HRBPs.
- Experience leading in distributed environments, across geographies and time zones.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, mentoring and developing high-performing teams.
- Strategic mindset and the ability to participate and establish people strategies with the HR Leadership team aligned to broader business objectives.
- Strong knowledge of HR principles, global employment laws, and industry best practices.
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with business leaders at all levels, effectively acting as a trusted advisor and influencer.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to convey complex information clearly and concisely.
- Exceptional judgment and decision-making abilities, with the capacity to navigate complex and sensitive situations with tact and professionalism.
- Ability to analyze HR metrics and data to identify trends, opportunities, and areas for improvement, and use insights to drive informed decision-making and compelling storytelling.
What you can expect:
- Leadership and Team Management:
- Provide direction, guidance, and support to a team of HRBPs, fostering a collaborative and high-performing work environment.
- Set clear expectations, goals, and priorities for the team to ensure alignment with the organization's strategic vision.
- Coach and mentor individual HRBPs to enhance their skills, expertise, and overall effectiveness as strategic partners to their respective client groups.
- Identify professional development opportunities and help create tailored growth plans for team members.
- Collaborate with HR leadership to translate the organization's overall HR strategy into actionable plans for each department consistently, and ensure a positive employee experience.
- Cascade functional strategy and contributes to the development of company policies.
- Ensure that the HRBPs understand the organization's business objectives and work closely with them to develop HR strategies that align with those goals and guide execution.
- Foster strong relationships with senior business leaders and executives across various departments to gain insights into their needs and challenges.
- Guide HRBPs in building and maintaining effective partnerships with their respective business leaders.
- Facilitate communication between HRBPs and other HR functions, such as compensation, benefits, and the Programs team, to ensure integrated and consistent HR practices.
- Works on complex issues where problems are not clearly defined and makes appropriate recommendations/changes.
- Support HRBPs in addressing complex employee relations issues, conflict resolution, engagement and other HR-related challenges working to create a positive and inclusive work environment.
- Collaborates with the Programs team on the implementation of talent management initiatives, including performance enablement, career development, and succession planning.
- Ensure that HRBPs work closely with client groups to identify high-potential and high performing employees and facilitate their growth within the organization.
- Provide guidance and support to HRBPs in managing change initiatives within their
- client groups, ensuring smooth transitions and minimal disruption.
- Guide HRBPs in analyzing HR metrics and data to identify trends, areas for improvement, and opportunities for enhancing HR practices.
- Use data-driven insights to develop recommendations for optimizing HR strategies.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement by encouraging innovative and straightforward approaches to HR practices, processes, and policies.
Mentoring and Development:
Collaboration and Communication:
Talent Management and Succession Planning:
HR Analytics and Insights:
United States-based roles only: The Annual salary for this role is between $179,000USD and $242,000USD, plus immediate participation in 1Password’s benefits program (health, dental, 401k and many others), utilization of our generous paid time off and, where applicable, participation in our incentive programs. All employees are owners of 1Password and receive an equity grant as part of their total package. At 1Password, we approach each individual's compensation with a promise of fair market value and internal equity commensurate with experience and specific skill set.
What we offer:
We believe in working hard, and resting hard. We’re always looking for new ways to support our team members, but here’s a glance at what we currently offer:
Health and wellbeing
> 👶 Maternity and parental leave top up programs
> 👟 Wellness spending account
> 🏝 Generous PTO policy
> 💖 Company-wide wellness days off scheduled throughout the year
> 🧠 Wellness Coach membership
> 🩺 Comprehensive health coverage
Growth and future
> 📈 Employee stock option program for all full time employees
> 💸 Retirement matching program
> 💡 Training budget, 1Password University access, and learning sessions
> 🔑 Free 1Password account (and friends and family discount!)
Flexibility and community
> 🤝 Paid volunteer days
> 🌎 Employee-led DEI&B programs and ERGs
> 🏠 Fully remote environment
> 🏆 Peer-to-peer recognition through Bonusly
You belong here.
1Password is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and equitable workplace that is built on trust, support and respect. We welcome all individuals and do not discriminate on the basis of gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, sex, citizenship, education, languages spoken or veteran status. Be yourself, find your people and share the things you love.
Accommodation is available upon request at any point during our recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please speak to your talent acquisition partner or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll work to meet your needs.
Remote work is a part of our DNA. Given that our company was founded remotely in 2005, we can safely say we're experts at building remote culture. That said, remote work at 1Password does mean working from your home country. If you've got questions or concerns about this your Talent Partner would be happy to address them with you.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a background check that may consist of prior employment verification, reference checks, education confirmation, criminal background, publicly available social media, credit history, or other information, as permitted by local law.
Candidate Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position, refer a candidate, or are being considered for a role at AgileBits, Inc. (dba 1Password, 1Password, we, us, or our), your information is stored in Lever, in accordance with Lever's Service Privacy Notice. We use this information to evaluate your candidacy for the posted position. We also store this information, and may use it in relation to future positions to which you apply, or which we believe may be relevant to you given your background.
Candidates may also optionally choose to self-identify their race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, and disability. These answers will help us evaluate our diversity and belonging efforts. You do not have to answer these questions—your answers will not be linked to your name or job application, will not be visible to the hiring manager reviewing your application, and will in no way affect your job application. If you have any questions about the collection or use of this information, please contact [email@example.com].
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it. If you have any questions about how we use or process your information, or if you would like to ask to access, correct, or delete your information, please contact our privacy team at [firstname.lastname@example.org] or through 1Password Support.