States Program Manager - 2020 Project
Chicago, New York, or Washington, DC
270 Strategies is seeding the launch of a new independent training program geared toward the next major electoral cycle. The program will tentatively rollout in February 2019 with core programming kicking off in June 2019.
As a States Program Manager, you will support the design and implementation of the training program and directly oversee a team of 5-7 seasonal coaches responsible for developing the next generation of young, diverse campaign field organizers. You are an organizer of organizers and measure your success by the number of students, mentees, and direct reports you have advanced, promoted, or handed the reins over to. You have 3/+ years of experience with electoral and/or community organizing, 2-3 years directly managing and supporting others, and a demonstrated commitment to serving young people and communities of color. You believe in the power of organizing, as well as the integration of data and on/offline organizing, and are excited to support the development of a talent pipeline.
The position will ideally be located in NYC, DC, or Chicago, although remote locations will be considered. This is a temporary full-time position expected to start in February 2019 and end in August 2020, and will entail some weekend work and travel. The salary range is $65k-$85k for candidates with 5-8 years of relevant experience.
WHAT YOU’LL DO AS THE STATES PROGRAM MANAGER
- Directly manage 5-7 remote, seasonal coaches and oversee the recruitment, training, development, and overall experience of 300-500 young people in 2-3 states.
- Facilitate hiring, onboarding, training, and professional development of seasonal coaches.
- Foster an intentionally inclusive, equitable and collaborative team culture.
- In partnership with the Chief Program Officer and Director of Training & Institute, support the design and development of high-quality 10-week experience - including a week-long in-person convening - that will equip organizers with the field, data, and digital skills and competencies needed to successfully serve on future electoral campaigns.
- Collaborate with program team to devise strategies to deliver on the recruitment, training, retention and deployment of 1,000 organizers.
- Develop a rich sense of community amongst organizers and orchestrate post-program engagement plan that ensures organizers continue to learn, grow and develop, and are ultimately prepared for and excited to join the presidential campaign.
- Determine and analyze key metrics for success in each phase of programmatic work, review and monitor implementation; consistently evolve your practice by giving and receiving feedback to ensure program is executed with fidelity by staff and coaches.
- Build and nurture local, state-specific relationships and partnerships that support participant recruitment and ongoing retention.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE THAT YOU’LL NEED TO BRING
- Experience designing, building, and scaling teams, structures and cultures successfully and rapidly.
- 3-5 years of experience crafting and executing organizing strategy, including strong familiarity with data and digital organizing tactics.
- 2-3 years of experience managing individuals and teams.
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to communicate expectations clearly.
- Strong judgment and critical reasoning skills, with the ability to navigate new situations.
- A track record of working with diverse staff and external partners.
- Confidence and professionalism while engaging with contacts ranging from grassroots volunteers to high-level public officials.
- Enthusiasm for a team-based work environment.
- A sense of humor, a willingness to embrace both your own quirks and others’, and a passion for progressive issues.
- Experience with political campaigns.
- Experience with online organizing and digital tools.
- Experience with high-volume recruitment and/or training.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references. Please include the position you are applying for in your cover letter.
ABOUT 270 STRATEGIES
270 Strategies is a next-generation grassroots firm that is redefining how companies, causes, and organizations build winning campaigns and achieve big things.
Our company was born of the basic belief that grassroots campaigns can change the world. We named our firm “270” for the number of electoral votes required to win the presidency. Our team used grassroots and digital organizing to achieve our strategic goals on both historic Obama campaigns – and we help our clients do the same.
Unlike traditional consulting firms that focus exclusively on marketing, 270 Strategies believes effective, 21st century campaigns must integrate people-centered, grassroots organizing with smart digital strategies and a data-driven approach. The 270 team uses the lesson learned after years of leading progressive organizations and working with over 300 clients to help our clients connect with key constituencies, design innovative programs, and put their ideas into action.
270 Strategies is committed to diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to clients and constituents. 270 Strategies is an equal opportunity employer and it is 270 Strategies’ policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.