Chicago, IL or Washington, DC
The 270 Team
270 Strategies is a public engagement firm. We partner with our clients to build winning campaigns and put their ideas into action. We believe that the best way to engage people in the 21st century is to integrate people-centered, grassroots organizing with sophisticated digital strategies, effective communications, and a data-driven approach.
In short: we help campaigns, causes, and companies reach their goals by engaging, inspiring, and mobilizing their target audiences in authentic ways -- both online and offline.
We are committed to diversity among our staff, and deeply believe that our continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to clients and constituents.
We are an equal opportunity employer and it is 270 Strategies’ policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.
The Data Associate Job
At 270, we believe that data provides the foundation of every engagement, whether that’s managing a political campaign or presenting key metrics for a member-driven organization, our analytics operations provides our clients with measurable insights into their data. We develop data-driven insights that inform strategy and optimal decision making for our clients and senior leadership, and lead analytical efforts across multiple projects.
Our Data Associates are a critical part of our teams. They support the data-driven approach at all levels of the engagement, but aren’t just there to track metrics and report on success. They also assist in strategy development, program design, and tactical execution, and help make sure our programs are as efficient and successful as possible.
You believe in the power of people coming together to make change -- and are excited about helping campaigns, causes, and companies activate and harness that type of energy.
You are a creative, collaborative self-starter with strong project management skills, attention to detail, and have 1-2 years of experience in an analytical role.
You believe in the power of grassroots organizing; that the integration of digital and offline organizing is a must; and that the best programs are data-driven.
You'll do things like:
- Support quantitative and qualitative analysis to generate business insights and strategy
- Analyze data requests from clients and senior management to define and measure operational metrics
- Utilize programming and analytical tools such as SQL, R, Python, and Tableau to interpret results in order to assist senior management with decision making and policy and strategy formulation
- Assist in the creation of universes and targeting recommendations for our engagement programs
- Design and develop reports to measure and monitor critical results, and make recommendations for business direction
- Be responsible for internal project success, such as setting team agendas, following communication norms, and efficiently allocating time
- Organize and facilitate client calls, meetings, trainings, and strategy sessions
- Build timelines and keep teams (both internal and external) accountable and on track
- Write strategy documents and draft client deliverables
- Collaborate with other 270 teams to help set goals, determine benchmarks, and measure progress and performance
- Interface with vendors and recommend appropriate services to client partners
To be successful in this role you'll need to have:
- Experience managing multiple complex, fast-paced projects at once
- Strong passion for answering key business questions with data
- 1-2 years of experience working in a data management, business intelligence, or data analytics role
- Ability to use data and analytics to drive decision making and program development
- Experience in creating reports or dashboards that present key program insights and metrics
- Strong leadership experience, and the ability to lead a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong writing skills and a proven ability to produce written material within a deadline (using tools like PowerPoint, GoogleDocs, and Microsoft Word)
- Strong judgment and critical reasoning skills, with the ability to navigate new situations
- A track record of working with diverse partners
- Confidence and professionalism while engaging with contacts ranging from grassroots volunteers to high-level public officials
- Enthusiasm for a team-based work environment
- A sense of humor, a willingness to embrace both your own quirks and others’, and a passion for progressive issues
Not all of these are required, but having exposure to at least a few of these skills or experiences will help you be even more successful in this role:
- Using SQL and data visualization and experimentation tools (e.g. Tableau, Optimizely, Power BI, etc.)
- Staffing or volunteering in a statewide political campaign, utilizing VAN and other field tools
- Experience on advocacy campaigns
Salary + Benefits
This position will be based in Chicago, IL, or Washington, D.C., and may require some travel. The salary range for this position is $50,000 - $58,000, and includes a robust benefits package. Candidates with entry level experience typically begin at the lower end of this salary range.
Our benefits include:
· Smart, funny, passionate colleagues who are leaders in their field
· Mission-driven clients, bent on changing the world
· Twelve weeks paid parental leave
· Flexible work schedules and vacation
· Generous 401(k) contributions
· Professional development resources
· Commuter benefits and flexible spending accounts
· High-quality health benefits, including vision and dental
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references through our online application. Please include the position you are applying for in your cover letter.