Chief Program Officer - 2020 Project
Chicago, New York, or Washington, DC
270 Strategies is seeding the launch of a new independent training program geared toward the next major electoral cycle. The program will tentatively rollout in February 2019 with core programming kicking off in June 2019.
As Chief Program Officer, you will be a founding leader and oversee a team of 25+ to design, implement, and execute the training program. You are a creative and collaborative self-starter and have a passion for developing and nurturing people, projects, and teams. You have 10/+ years of experience with electoral and/or community organizing and a demonstrated commitment to serving young people and communities of color. You believe in the power of organizing, as well as the integration of data and on/offline organizing, and are excited to support the development of a talent pipeline.
This position will ideally be located in NYC, DC, or Chicago though remote locations will be considered. This is a temporary full-time position expected to start in January 2019 and end in August 2020, and will entail some weekend work and travel. The salary range is $130k-$150k for candidates with 10-12 years of relevant experience and 10+ years of management experience.
WHAT YOU'LL DO AS THE CHIEF PROGRAM OFFICER
- Directly manage 5-6 remote, full-time staff and oversee 25+ seasonal trainers, coaches and content developers multiple states.
- Facilitate hiring, onboarding, training, and professional development of program team staff.
- Foster an intentionally inclusive, equitable and collaborative team culture.
- Lead the vision, design and development of high-quality 10-week experience - including a week-long in-person convening - that will equip organizers with the field, data, and digital skills and competencies needed to successfully serve on future electoral campaigns.
- Collaborate with ED, COO, and program staff to create and refine budgets, staffing plans, and strategic plans to deliver on the recruitment, training, retention and deployment of 1,000 organizers.
- Orchestrate post-program engagement plan that ensures organizers continue to learn, grow and develop as organizers, and are ultimately prepared for and excited to join the presidential campaign.
- Determine and analyze key metrics for success in each phase of programmatic work, review and monitor implementation, and ensure program is executed with fidelity by staff and coaches.
- Help manage the relationship with high-profile and/or complex partnerships.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE THAT YOU'LL NEED TO BRING
- Experience designing, building, and scaling teams, structures and cultures successfully and rapidly.
- 10-12 years of experience crafting and executing organizing strategy, including strong familiarity with data and digital organizing tactics.
- 8-10 years of experience managing individuals and teams.
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to communicate expectations clearly.
- Strong judgment and critical reasoning skills, with the ability to navigate new situations.
- A track record of working with diverse staff and external partners.
- Confidence and professionalism while engaging with contacts ranging from grassroots volunteers to high-level public officials.
- Enthusiasm for a team-based work environment.
- A sense of humor, a willingness to embrace both your own quirks and others’, and a passion for progressive issues.
- Experience with political campaigns.
- Experience with high-volume recruitment and/or training.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references. Please include the position you are applying for in your cover letter.
ABOUT 270 STRATEGIES
270 Strategies is a next-generation grassroots firm that is redefining how companies, causes, and organizations build winning campaigns and achieve big things.
Our company was born of the basic belief that grassroots campaigns can change the world. We named our firm “270” for the number of electoral votes required to win the presidency. Our team used grassroots and digital organizing to achieve our strategic goals on both historic Obama campaigns – and we help our clients do the same.
Unlike traditional consulting firms that focus exclusively on marketing, 270 Strategies believes effective, 21st century campaigns must integrate people-centered, grassroots organizing with smart digital strategies and a data-driven approach. The 270 team uses the lesson learned after years of leading progressive organizations and working with over 300 clients to help our clients connect with key constituencies, design innovative programs, and put their ideas into action.
270 Strategies is committed to diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to clients and constituents. 270 Strategies is an equal opportunity employer and it is 270 Strategies’ policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.