Applicant Selection Specialist - 2020 Project (Part-Time)
270 Strategies is seeding the launch of a new independent training program geared toward the next major electoral cycle. The program will tentatively rollout in February 2019 with core programming kicking off in June 2019.
As an Applicant Selection Specialist, you are responsible for reviewing training program applications, interviewing promising candidates and making acceptance recommendations. You are a current/former organizer and/or direct service provider supporting the advancement of young people and communities of color. You are a proven manager and coach, and are motivated by the prospect of reading about and speaking to young adults about their experiences and interest in becoming organizers. You believe in the power of organizing and are excited to expand access and opportunity to electoral campaigns.
Applicants must be able to access reliable internet and consistently commit 25-40 hrs/wk from February 11 – April 19, 2019 (note: applications can be read at flexible hours). This position pays $15-25/hr depending on experience and is a seasonal, temporary contract position.
WHAT YOU'LL DO AS AN APPLICANT SELECTION SPECIALIST
- Complete training on application review and candidate interview practices and processes.
- Thoroughly read applications, conduct interviews with advanced applicants, calibrate against selection rubric, and make recommendations to reject or accept applicants.
- Document all decisions with strong, professional notes.
- Provide program and operations team with constructive feedback to improve application review and/or selection process and overall candidate experience.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE THAT YOU'LL NEED TO BRING
- Experience as an organizer or direct service provider working with young people and/or communities of color, ideally with some time as a manager of individuals and teams.
- Ability to read applications and make high-stakes decisions efficiently.
- Strong judgment and critical reasoning skills, with the ability to navigate new situations while maintaining exceptional customer service.
- High degree of organization and comfort with technology platforms and applications (e.g., GSuite, video conferencing, applicant tracking system).
- Avid listener with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable with and responsive to real-time coaching and feedback.
- Highly responsive to ongoing email and phone communication with requests consistently addressed within 24 hours.
- A track record of working effectively on a remote team.
- You have actively reflected on issues related to your identity and approach conversations about race, privilege, and diversity with curiosity, openness, and empathy.
- A sense of humor, a willingness to embrace both your own quirks and others’, and a passion for progressive issues.
- Prior talent acquisition experience.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references. Please include the position you are applying for in your cover letter.
ABOUT 270 STRATEGIES
270 Strategies is a next-generation grassroots firm that is redefining how companies, causes, and organizations build winning campaigns and achieve big things.
Our company was born of the basic belief that grassroots campaigns can change the world. We named our firm “270” for the number of electoral votes required to win the presidency. Our team used grassroots and digital organizing to achieve our strategic goals on both historic Obama campaigns – and we help our clients do the same.
Unlike traditional consulting firms that focus exclusively on marketing, 270 Strategies believes effective, 21st century campaigns must integrate people-centered, grassroots organizing with smart digital strategies and a data-driven approach. The 270 team uses the lesson learned after years of leading progressive organizations and working with over 300 clients to help our clients connect with key constituencies, design innovative programs, and put their ideas into action.
270 Strategies is committed to diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to clients and constituents. 270 Strategies is an equal opportunity employer and it is 270 Strategies’ policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis.