New York or Berlin (FT)
Do you believe we deserve an internet where apps are securely and easily interoperable, where users have control over their data and identity, and where developers are empowered to innovate rapidly and collaboratively?
Do you want to be at the forefront of web3, moving the internet beyond the cloud and ushering in the next wave of online experiences?
Do you want to join in building the shared data backend that will power this revolution, alongside world-class technical and product teammates?
3Box is building a more trusting, human and connected web. The most ambitious applications in the world are being built on our data network. Developers can build lighter and more powerful services with better data than ever, and users are empowered with control of their data and portability across experiences. Soon, we'll be releasing Ceramic Network to take this even further. We are looking for impact-driven, self-motivated, growth-oriented teammates to join us in making our huge mission a reality.
3Box is looking for a full stack engineer to drive the development of our core infrastructure and node software. You will architect and engineer the software that will enable user-centric data via 3Box and the Ceramic Network.
You will get to..
- Ensure extremely reliable infrastructure that never fails, with smooth and efficient devops
- Drastically improve the performance of our distributed data infrastructure
- Architect creative solutions for monitoring and metrics on a distributed network
- Contribute ideas, IP and thought leadership about open network design to 3Box and related developer communities
- Represent 3Box in our community of app developers building innovative new products and services
You'll likely thrive if you...
- Are proficient with AWS and similar infrastructure tools
- Demonstrate an aptitude for understanding and designing distributed systems
- Are extremely good at quickly understanding new problem areas, weighing tradeoffs, and recommending a path forward
- Ship quality code fast
- Frequently experiment with new technologies and think about better ways to build things
- Have great attention to code quality, strong documentation, and scalability
- Are able to structure thinking, work and communication, breaking down big projects into achievable deliverables
- Bonus points: familiarity with Rust, typescript or other languages; interest in data structures and lower level systems; strong product mindset and focus on users; active role in an open source community
More About 3Box
WHO WE ARE
We are small and fast, incredibly curious and laser-focused, community-oriented and individually driven. We have previously founded tech startups, authored books on identity, won awards for outstanding products, advised F100 CEOs, and much more. We believe greatness comes from happy, interested, diverse teams. We've lived in dozens of different countries (and on a sailboat), dropped out of college, finished college, captained varsity athletic teams, attended 10-day meditation retreats, run marathons, cycled thousands of miles per year, and built houses.
WHY WE WORK TOGETHER
We are all committed to building a more empowering web where data is secure, interactions are trustworthy, and relationships are the basis of connection rather than platform's network effects. Online experiences can be delightful and integrated without being creepy or dangerous. We believe we are building Web 3.0 - a few perspectives on what that means to us:
WHAT WE'RE BUILDING
Protocols: for identity, user-centric data, sharing and access control, and interoperable data services
Products: SDKs and APIs for apps + wallets to integrate distributed identity, data storage, and social features. Think of it as decentralized firebase, to build fully featured apps with no backend
Data Network: node software and networking for a distributed set of infrastructure providers
HOW WE WORK
We are intentional about growing a culture that supports the team and each teammate, in our daily work and beyond. Some values embedded in our agile operating model:
Impact: "3Box ships" became a community motto - we deliver tangible results every month.
Learning: from our extraordinary partners, peer feedback every Friday, and a budget for growth
Community, Intentionality, Access, Quality: we embed these in our team, community and products
WHERE WE LIVE
We are based in Berlin and NYC, but with a digital-first workflow, we encourage frequent remote work. We also have unlimited and flexible vacation and travel.
Our benefits align with our values and operating model - we want everyone to help own and drive our purpose in their own way, with compensation and benefits to match. We offer generous equity, flexible learning and travel budget, competitive salary, great healthcare, regular team retreats, travel to fascinating places and events.
We are in the center of a fast-moving, early, revolutionary ecosystem and want our whole team to take part in that. We set aside funds and time for each of us to be active in the community and a leader in the movement.