New York, NY /
At 3Box Labs we are on a mission to usher in a new era for the web, where data is secure, interactions are trustworthy, and relationships are the basis of connection. We're enabling online experiences that are delightful and integrated while also bolstering privacy and freeing innovation. Our first product, Ceramic, is the building block for composable data on the web and is powering thousands of the world's most ambitious applications.
We're backed by an incredible community and the best investors in the space (USV, Placeholder, Variant, Multicoin) who have deep conviction in our mission. We are a lean, voraciously curious team from across the globe, with 5 years of expert remote work experience and frequent (and awesome) team retreats to spend time together. We have founded tech startups, written books, won product awards, authored patents, created Ethereum standards, and advised F100 CEOs. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We cannot succeed in our mission without it. People that identify with groups traditionally underrepresented in tech are particularly encouraged to apply.
Come help us tackle novel challenges and reinvent how data is managed online. Every one of our roles is remote first (retreat often!)
As Legal Lead at 3Box Labs, you'll provide the legal expertise, strategy and execution that allows us to move rapidly, innovatively and relatively safely to a decentralized organization within an uncertain and constantly evolving regulatory environment. This position reports to Co-Founder, Danny Zuckerman.
Success looks like...
- The legal & governance foundations for the progressive decentralization of Ceramic have been installed by the end of the year. We have a foundation and migrated resources, power and people to it smoothly and effectively.
- The community has an economic and governance stake in Ceramic, and we’ve achieved this without introducing major regulatory or tax risks.
- You’ve crafted deal documents and helped to close on multiple strategic partnerships. You were the primary architect of the legal contracts and thought partner in defining the commercial terms of the partnership agreements.
- Complex legal issues facing a rapidly growing startup are reliably solved. You’ve eliminated legal debt and have set up internal controls & processes to ensure that company operations run more smoothly and low-level legal issues are not distracting to the broader team’s focus.
You're likely to succeed if you have...
- Minimum 5 years of commercial legal experience in a highly-reputable law firm or in-house position, preferably in web3, technology, fintech, or other related domain.
- A JD and membership in at least one state bar, preferably CA or NY.
- Professional legal experience in, or ability to rapidly learn, regulatory and legal regimes relevant to web3, including financial market regulations, securities laws, data privacy, and US + global AML/CFT rules.
- You are an accelerator not a brake pedal. You work with the team to find viable paths to achieve the desired result, overcoming obstacles and managing legal risks against other business considerations.
- You get things done, keeping high velocity on ongoing legal work while also pushing ahead on long-term projects and goals.
- Exceptional communication and prioritization skills, including with non-lawyers. You can break down complex legal issues into easily-digestible implications and recommended courses of action.
- You make hard things simple, finding the core problem or solution and focusing on that. When the hard things can’t be made simple, you can explain why and think on your feet about alternative structures or approaches that meet the operational or business goal.
- You care deeply about being a force for good in the Web3 space.
Care: We work with passionate teammates committed to a shared purpose and support each other to work better and live well.
Act with intention: We are thoughtful doers who put as much into why and how we do something as what we do
Go further, together: Our mission is too big for us alone, we cultivate trust, ask for help, and build momentum together
Drive incredible impact: We aim for massive impact and we deliver.
Benefits and Perks
*Our benefits align with our values and operating model - we want everyone to help own and drive our purpose in their own way, with compensation and benefits to match.
*Generous equity for everyone
*Competitive salary that is fair across the globe
*Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
*Budgets for learning, thought leadership, and community events
*In person team retreats twice a year