Do you want to help build the foundations of a better web alongside a passionate, high-impact team? 3Box Labs is building the data rails for Web3, Ceramic Network. Already used by 1500 of the world's most ambitious applications, Ceramic is the building block for composable data.
You'll tackle novel challenges, work closely with incredible partners and our rapidly growing community, and help us reinvent how data is managed online.
As a Protocol Engineer, you will join the Ceramic Core Protocol Team in working on problems related to distributed consensus, sharding, peer-to-peer networking, cryptography, object capability systems, blockchain system design, and more.
Key outcomes in your first year
- You have added several key capabilities to the Ceramic Protocol, built with consideration for maintaining strong consensus properties, scalability, and test coverage to ensure a high quality implementation.
- You have contributed heavily to one or more of the following key focus areas, building both features and expertise in the domain: horizontally scaling the peer-to-peer pubsub network while maintaining strong peer connectivity; adding more sophisticated consensus models such as multi-writer data structures built on CRDTs; adding cryptographically enforced data confidentiality and an Object Capability-based access control system; building out our test infrastructure to enable complex multi-node testing scenarios; preliminary design of the Ceramic blockchain and cryptoeconomics
- You have helped mature the Ceramic testing infrastructure to enable us to ship new versions and features quickly while maintaining a high bar of quality
- You have contributed to protocol scalability, collaborating with the rest of the team on a plan for future network growth with proper tradeoffs around sharding, consensus, and peer-to-peer network connectivity
- You have helped improve the experience for developers building on Ceramic. Every feature or API you work on is clear, well-documented, and free of any major surprises. Overall developers find Ceramic easy to use, understand, and reason about
- You have coordinated with the maintainers of the rest of the Ceramic stack and open identity systems such as IDX and 3id-connect to ensure that they are successful and that the core protocol development remains responsive to their needs. Because of this effective coordination, the powerful user-centric identity model of tools built on Ceramic continue to drive growth and adoption of the core Ceramic protocol
- You have worked with the community to increase understanding and adoption of Ceramic by doing such things as improving documentation, answering community questions, speaking publicly about Ceramic, etc.
You're likely a great candidate if you have...
- Experience with distributed systems, especially with distributed consensus, horizontal scaling, databases, peer-to-peer systems, blockchains, etc.
- Experience with multi-threaded/highly concurrent software
- Built and supported infrastructure software used by other developers to run their production applications
- A commitment to testing and an understanding of the importance of robust testing frameworks
- An ability to understand and communicate effectively about tradeoffs in various designs and software architectures
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, and a desire to work as part of a team committed to a common goal
We are a lean, voraciously curious team from across the globe. We have 5 years of expert remote work experience and frequent (and awesome) team retreats to spend time together. We are impact-driven, intentional about our role, communications, and actions, and intensely focused on building quality tools for our open source community. We believe a better model for managing data online can give power back to users and builders, that this model is key to a growing movement, and that our team is a critical part of making that movement successful.
We pay competitively and fairly across the globe, offer great and flexible benefits, and view everyone on our team as an owner -- both with generous equity grants and lots of agency to help set our direction. We're backed by an incredible community and the best investors in the space (USV, Placeholder, Variant, Multicoin) who have deep conviction in our mission.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We cannot succeed in our mission without it. People that identify with groups traditionally underrepresented in tech are particularly encouraged to apply.