Head of Engineering
Do you want to help build the foundations of a better web alongside a passionate, diverse, high-impact team? 3Box Labs is building the data rails for Web3, Ceramic. Already powering 1500 of the world's most ambitious applications, Ceramic is the building block for composable data on the web.
You'll tackle novel challenges, work closely with incredible partners and our rapidly growing community, and help us reinvent how data is managed online.
As Head of Engineering for 3Box Labs you will drive the delivery and growth of our Engineering organization. You will ensure the technical excellence and wellbeing of our team while guiding the strategy and technical direction of the Ceramic Network.
Key responsibilities and outcomes
- The Engineering team has grown by 2x over the next year, with exemplary candidates that are excited and committed to what we do
- The Engineering team scales effectively, gaining velocity as fast as capacity and keeping pace with growing demand from the market
- There is a deep sense of ownership, trust, and collaborative spirit within the Engineering team
- The live Ceramic Network is operating reliably and we have a sense of its overall health, increasingly using data and insights to make decisions and mitigate risks
- Engineers on the team are empowered to find optimal solutions in order to scale and grow the network
- Engineers receive great mentoring and have a path to grow within the org
- Engineering resources are being deployed to the highest priority projects and our capacity and resource planning is dependable
- The team has a crisp sense of direction day-to-day, and feel like this is closely tied to the needs of our community
- The Engineering team delivers high-quality output in a timely manner
- There are strong feedback loops and collaborations between R&D, protocol engineering, product and growth
- 3Box Labs' engineering team is one of the most attractive teams to work for in Web3
- We have a diverse and inclusive engineering team
- Work closely with our CTO to drive technical strategy and roadmap, and ensure the team understands it
- Identify gaps in the team and hire great people to fill them
- Build a holistic understanding of our problem space and communicate it to the team
- Oversee engineering resources and budget across projects, people, and infrastructure
You're likely a good fit if you have...
- 4+ years of engineering management experience
- Extensive hiring experience; you have grown great teams before
- You enjoy sometimes getting your hands coding, even when it’s not your main focus
- Great communication and mentorship skills
- Experience leading high-performing teams, with mental models for both the systems and people management skills that enable them
- A passion for data sovereignty and the Web3 space
- Extremely comfortable with a remote-first environment
- Bonus: worked with systems that manage a large amount of data; experience with international teams; fast-growth startup experience;
We are a lean, voraciously curious team from across the globe. We have 5 years of expert remote work experience and frequent (and awesome) team retreats to spend time together. We are impact-driven, intentional about our role, communications, and actions, and intensely focused on building quality tools for our open source community. We believe a better model for managing data online can give power back to users and builders, that this model is key to a growing movement, and that our team is a critical part of making that movement successful.
We pay competitively and fairly across the globe, offer great and flexible benefits, and view everyone on our team as an owner -- both with generous equity grants and lots of agency to help set our direction. We're backed by an incredible community and the best investors in the space (USV, Placeholder, Variant, Multicoin) who have deep conviction in our mission.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We cannot succeed in our mission without it. People that identify with groups traditionally underrepresented in tech are particularly encouraged to apply.