Quality Control Technician
Operations – Quality and Control /
We promise you can be yourself at Protolabs
Don’t meet every single requirement? Go ahead and apply anyway! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification and we think this sucks. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we are committed to building a diverse team that feels that they are valued in the workplace. If you’re looking at our page and you do not identify yourself, don't be discouraged to apply. You can help make our Protolabs even better. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, age, mental or physical ability, or any way you represent yourself. We strongly believe diversity makes for more successful teams and it's one of our biggest secrets of success.
We are transforming the manufacturing industry as you know it and we’re on the lookout for makers, doers and re-thinkers to join us on this mission.
Protolabs Network, part of Protolabs, the world’s fastest and most comprehensive digital manufacturing solution with over 250 extensively vetted manufacturing partners.
We have some of the broadest capabilities in the industry so we can accommodate almost any manufacturing request from humble start-ups to big names like NASA, HP, and AUDI. When our customers need parts with intricate geometries or highly cosmetic finishes, a partner in our network can produce them. Some of the coolest parts we’ve made are floating in space!
We are now looking for a Quality Control Tech to join our team in Chicago.
In this role, you will monitor the quality of incoming and outgoing orders at our cross-docking platform. You will contribute to the satisfaction of our most important customers and lead several key continuous improvement projects. This position is Monday-Friday - full-time.
*visa sponsorship is also not available for this position*
Sound good? Keep reading!
What you'll do:
- Manage the cross-docking platform quality control activity
- Perform daily visual/dimensional inspections with basic metrology equipment (calipers, micrometers)
- Improve our existing inspection processes, procedures, and workflows (incl. escalation rules)
- Create defect books to start documenting/classifying defects in order to feed our Manufacturing guidelines
- Improve the existing inspection templates
- Generating weekly/monthly reports
- You want to develop expertise in quality management
- You ideally have gained hands-on experience in daily visual/dimensional inspections with basic metrology equipment (calipers, micrometers)
- You are detail-oriented, autonomous, and not afraid of making decisions alone and speak up when you don't know the answer
- You are driven by a desire to improve efficiency and workflows
- An ownership mindset - you stick with an issue until it’s solved
- Proficient with computers i.e. Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc
- Great communication skills. You are fluent in English (written and verbal)
- Part of our incredible journey is clearly down to our amazing team, and we strongly believe in giving people a space to truly, authentically be themselves. We also believe that treating our employees well and sprinkling a great place to work with some nice perks can make work a little sweeter.
- Annual company bonus. We celebrate success together! Employees are not only rewarded for their achievements but also for contributing to the overall success of the business.
- Flexible and hybrid working arrangements! (we try to accommodate where it’s possible, so feel free to ask us more about this)
- We offer a 401k plan and you’ll get 24 PTO days per year
- Wellness and well-being with access to OpenUp psychologists, practice mindfulness with Headspace and tons more.
- Doggo-friendly office. We are big pet lovers and fully encourage hanging out with your (and your colleagues’) furry friends in the office
- Daily Lunch and snacks are provided in the office; it's a moment for our teams to connect and recharge. Shared meals strengthen our bonds and fuel collaboration.
- Dedicate 20% of your work time to learning or joining projects! Whether that’s one of our Employee Resource Groups or time spent on our in-house LEARN platform. From 3D printing to woodworking - there’s something for everything.
- Regular team events, socials and annual regional team trip
- Follow us on Instagram to see what Life at Protolabs is all about!
While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use a computer keyboard, monitor and mouse, telephone and printer; reach with hands, and arms, talk, see and hear. The employee is also regularly required to stand, walk, stoop or kneel and will occasionally be required to lift and/or move up to 45 pounds.
Indoors (A/C); nonsmoking; the majority of this job function is performed in an office setting requiring normal safety precautions. However, there may be job duties that require the employee to spend time in the manufacturing areas exposed to machinery and noise; eye protection occasionally required. Occasionally works in outside weather conditions. Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
What to expect in the hiring process
Kick-off with an initial screening with one Talent Acquisition Partners, not really an interview, but the chance to learn more about how we do things, our process and a chance for you to ask all the things you want to know
A deeper dive into the role, what we're looking for and for you to get to know one another
Take home challenge or presentation
Put your skills to the test. Depending on the role, you may be asked to work on a take-home challenge or a presentation to us. We know this won't show us all of your talents, but we can get a nice insight into how you work and vice versa.
In most scenarios, you’ll get to meet your teammates or a member of the leadership team. This is a great chance for us to see how you fit into the wider organisation
Meet the culture ambassadors
Our culture is unique and so are you! Check your ego at the door because these cats are not interested in whether you're the best engineer. We want to hear all about the things that get you out of bed each morning, the special interests you have or random skills that you can teach us. Now's the time to show us your authentic self, no holding back. This is also your chance to ask about the behaviours that make us who we are, warts and all - because hiring is a two-way street!
Protolabs Network maintains ITAR-compliant operations in all of our United States-based facilities. Due to ITAR regulations, this role is only open to U.S. Citizens, lawful permanent residents (green card holders) or foreign nationals granted refugee or asylee status. Individuals with temporary visas (e.g. E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, TN or OPT) are not eligible for hire in this role.
Proto Labs, Inc. is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer