New Opportunity /
We’re the startup within 3Pillar, The Studio (working title) is our new Growth and Innovation Consulting Practice.
Our mission: To help our clients find organic and uncommon opportunities to grow in a world that is offering them more questions than answers. As with the core of our business at 3Pillar, there will be a heavy digital component but we also recognize that businesses thrive when they build for every customer touchpoint.
At 3Pillar we believe that everyone possesses unique talents and perspectives that only they can contribute. We’re looking for a Design Researcher who is humble, comfortable with the unknown, and excited about exploring it.
You’ll be joining a small and growing team of designers, leading teams and project sponsors through the research process to develop thoughtful and inspiring insights. You’ll bring to life the voice of the user and connect design teams and our clients to the human experiences and needs that will inform new product offerings.
Working as part of interdisciplinary teams, you will bring your depth of knowledge across a wide range of research approaches, including generative, rapid, and nimble iterative loops of prototyping, user feedback, and qualitative and quantitative studies, all to drive human-centered innovation for our clients.
Requirements and Experience
- Develop a unique point of view about the ways human-centered research can help uncover and prioritize design needs in a world that has changed rapidly over the last year
- Lead teams through bespoke research plans, owning the plan and associated logistics and ensuring that every member of the team contributes and collectively produces research findings that will inform and inspire strategic decisions and design solutions
- Conduct qualitative research, writing discussion guides, conducting expert interviews, using ethnographic research methods, and making analogous connections to design challenges that inspire new thinking
- Turn insights into strategic design opportunities and collaborate with teammates to create innovative products, services,, interactions, and experiences
- Create inspiring ways to tell stories from research throughout the design process
- 3-5+ years of qualitative design research experience at an innovation lab, design consultancy, or in a qualitative product/consumer insights capacity
- Master’s degree in Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Design, Journalism, Data Science, or equivalent work experience
- Extensive experience with a variety of design research methods and tools such as: analogous inspiration, expert interviews, ethnographic interviews, extreme user research, participatory sessions, prototype feedback, live prototyping, trend research, audio/visual recording, distance research, and journalistic storytelling.
- Experience in incorporating quantitative research is a plus, running surveys, segmentation studies, and analyzing public data sets, bringing all forms of research together into a compelling human narrative.
- Be confident and flexible as a member and leader of interdisciplinary teams where harmonious collaboration is imperative; your sweet spot is the intersection of human needs and business impact
- You’re eager to continue pushing human-centricity throughout the development and scaling stages of a product or service
Relevant experience and mindset: