Associate Director, Fund Operations (Malaysia)
Thematic - 500 Southeast Asia /
Regular Full-Time (MY)
We uplift people and economies around the world through entrepreneurship.
500 Global is a venture capital firm with more than USD2.7 billion in assets under management that invests in founders building fast-growing technology companies. We focus on markets where technology, innovation, and capital can unlock long-term value and drive economic growth.
We invest far and wide, across sectors and geographies, including 49 companies valued at USD1B+ and 150+ companies valued at more than USD100 million.
500 Global’s Southeast Asia family of funds have backed over 270+ companies, including USD1B+ companies Grab, Bukalapak, Carousell, Carsome, and FinAccel. This is just the beginning – we are actively growing to serve more founders, as well as connect startups with capital, expertise, and global networks to help them succeed.
Read more about the backstory of the team, the culture and why we are hiring: https://sea.500.co/careers
About the Role
Every tall building requires a deep foundation. Every space mission has a mission control. Every great business has a backbone of operational excellence.
The Fund Operations Associate Director will oversee the day-to-day operations of investment funds, manage relationships with fund service providers, and ensure compliance with relevant regulations. They will work closely with the investment team to support deal execution, portfolio management, as well as support smooth fundraising efforts. The Associate Director will also host leadership meetings, work closely with the General Partners and key stakeholders on strategic projects, and manage all vendors, service providers and oversee all operational and administrative matters that arise. Additionally, they will manage the ESG data collection and annual ESG monitoring of SEA portfolio companies, and develop a framework for our process flow in creating impact. The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, or a related field, 7+ years of experience in fund operations, and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of our investment funds, including cash management, trade settlements, and investor reporting.
- Manage relationships with fund service providers, including custodians, administrators, and auditors.
- Ensure compliance with relevant regulations, including AML/KYC, FATCA/CRS, and fund reporting requirements.
- Develop and implement operational policies and procedures to improve efficiency and reduce risk.
- Monitor fund expenses and work with the finance team to ensure accurate budgeting and forecasting.
- Participate in fundraising efforts, including preparing investor materials and responding to due diligence requests.
- Work closely with the investment team to support deal execution and portfolio management, including conducting due diligence on growth stage deals, managing finance diligence, legal diligence with lawyers and auditors, and implementing best practices.
- Host weekly leadership meetings, set agendas, and track progress against goals. Follow up on actionable items.
- Work closely with the General Partners and key stakeholders on other strategic projects.
- Set up oversight of growth stage governance, potentially taking on board seats.
- Manage the operational and administrative matters relating to all our funds, review fund financials, and manage the annual audit process of all SEA funds.
- Be the liaison for legal and finance on Malaysian & Singaporean office administration matters.
- Manage the ESG data collection and annual ESG monitoring of SEA portfolio companies, review the ESG questionnaire responses from portfolio companies, and prepare the annual ESG report.
- Develop a framework for our process flow in creating impact from initiation (deal sourcing), to activation (implementation), to outcome (exit preparation). This should include both financial and qualitative measures over time.
- Oversee and drive new strategic initiatives from time to time.
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, or a related field; advanced degree preferred.
- 7+ years of experience in fund operations, preferably in venture capital or private equity.
- Strong understanding of fund accounting and operations, including experience with fund service providers.
- Knowledge of relevant regulations, including AML/KYC, FATCA/CRS, and fund reporting requirements.
- Experience with fund administration software, such as eFront or Investran.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with investors, service providers, and internal stakeholders.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify and address operational inefficiencies.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
Please note that we will begin reviewing applications for this role in May 2023, but we look forward to receiving your application in the meantime.
Health Care Plan (Medical & Dental), Group Term Life, Wellness Allowance, Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays), Training & Development
500 Global does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
500 Global collects and processes personal data in accordance with applicable data protection laws. If you are a European Job Applicant see the privacy notice for further details. If you are a California Job Applicant see the privacy notice for further details.