Director, Investments (Singapore)
Thematic - 500 Southeast Asia /
Regular Full-Time (SG)
We uplift people and economies around the world through entrepreneurship.
500 Global is a venture capital firm with more than USD2.7 billion in assets under management that invests in founders building fast-growing technology companies. We focus on markets where technology, innovation, and capital can unlock long-term value and drive economic growth.
We invest far and wide, across sectors and geographies, including 49 companies valued at USD1B+ and 150+ companies valued at more than USD100 million.
500 Global’s Southeast Asia family of funds have backed over 270+ companies, including USD1B+ companies Grab, Bukalapak, Carousell, Carsome, and FinAccel. This is just the beginning – we are actively growing to serve more founders, as well as connect startups with capital, expertise, and global networks to help them succeed.
Read more about the backstory of the team, the culture and why we are hiring: https://sea.500.co/careers
About the Role
We are looking for a Director of Investments to join the 500 Southeast Asia team in Singapore. Your mission will be to support the General Partners with deal sourcing, diligence, analysis, research, negotiation, closing, and supporting our founders post-investment. You will help lead and shape the seed practice at 500 Southeast Asia, and its connection to our later stage investing practice.
We invest in a new company on a near weekly basis - be prepared for an intense but extremely satisfying, impactful, cutting-edge work. If you’re looking for the steepest learning curve to craft an enduring career in venture capital, be prepared to love the hard work that is in store for you.
Most of all, in this role, if you do well, you are directly groomed to be a Partner at the firm.
- Deal sourcing and due diligence on potential investments
- Conducting research that cuts across macro, sectors, and industries, to tie into investment theses
- Preparing financial models and analysis where required
- Managing and updating the deal pipeline and all information systems relating to deals from sourcing to exit
- Preparing deal memorandums and risk assessments for all new and follow on investments
- Preparing research reports and decks for the General Partners
- Managing tracking and reporting efforts for existing portfolio, including valuation of portfolio companies and other special projects
- Supporting the portfolio with their needs, especially follow-on funding
- Speaking at events to build networks with ecosystem players
- Developing the seed investment practice and the evolution of its strategy
- Managing all seed investment staff, including their careers and development
- 10 years of investing experience in VC or PE preferred and prioritised.
- Angel investment, seed investing, or any form of venture capital preferred.
- Similar experience in investment banking / finance or working in fast-paced environments with a focus on investment evaluation will also be considered.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional analytical skills, including data and financial analysis. Knowledgeable about how technology companies operate and scale
- Proven knowledge and interest in startup / venture ecosystem and technology trends especially in SEA through prior work / output / activities
- Ability to multitask and manage a huge number of varied deals and tasks, while keeping to timelines and maintaining a high quality of work
- Ability to easily understand and assess business models, people and market opportunities
- Ability to embark on deep, studied research where necessary
- Proven attention to detail and rigour of analysis through prior work
- Comfortable with a variety of responsibilities and working in a lean team
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction but high expectations
- Flexibility with international travel at short notice.
Please note that we will begin reviewing applications for this role in May 2023, but we look forward to receiving your application in the meantime
Health Care Plan (Medical & Dental), Group Term Life, Wellness Allowance, Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays), Training & Development
500 Global does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.
500 Global collects and processes personal data in accordance with applicable data protection laws. If you are a European Job Applicant see the privacy notice for further details. If you are a California Job Applicant see the privacy notice for further details.