San Francisco, CA /
Data Science /
Our mission is to enable pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to bring more cell and gene therapies to patients, by dramatically increasing the efficiency of viral vector production and reducing the cost of manufacturing. 64x Bio was founded by world renowned scientists and experts in gene therapy from Harvard and the Wyss Institute. Our rapidly growing and cross disciplinary team consists of creative bioengineers and synthetic biologists working alongside data scientists to create cutting-edge solutions to problems in gene therapy.
We are seeking an Automation Engineer to help build 64x Bio’s high-throughput platform from the ground up. You will onboard core robotics instrumentation and work with Scientists to automate experimental workflows that enable development of critical gene therapies. Your knowledge of liquid handling hardware, software and best practices will set the standard for how we scale and diversify our technological capabilities. The ideal candidate has both life sciences and engineering experience, and thrives when engineering and executing creative, dependable solutions that improve the efficiency, performance and safety of biological processes. This role affords opportunities to take on increasing levels of technical leadership as your skills advance.
- Onboard, expand, and sustain liquid handling and integrated robotics systems.
- Automate and execute benchtop workflows, including Molecular Biology, Mammalian Synthetic Biology and Viral Vector Synthetic Biology SOPs.
- Develop a standard approach to automated SOP design, build, test and validation.
- Build software processes to enable seamless experimental data transfer between instrumentation and databases/LIMS.
- Actively drive the evolution of the barcoded sample and results tracking system.
- Build process engineering controls to proactively monitor performance and creatively troubleshoot as needed.
- Keep detailed and organized records of SOP creation and execution across multiple projects.
- Aid in building the long-term roadmap for scaled and diversified automation functions, including technology scoping and recommendations.
- Collaborate and communicate across a diverse research team of engineers and scientists.
- Train new users on automation instrumentation and workflows, and coordinate with vendor support as needed.
- B.S. or M.S. degree in biology, engineering, or related field.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with laboratory automation in an industrial setting, (e.g. Tecan, Lynx, Bravo, Hamilton, etc.).
- Exposure to molecular biology and/or mammalian cell culture and engineering techniques.
- Experience onboarding and maintaining liquid handling robotics systems.
- Experience adapting benchtop protocols into tested, validated high throughput workflows.
- Some experience with computer programming, ideally including liquid handling software scripting.
- Creative problem-solving skills, diligence and a passion to deliver high quality results.
- The ability to communicate clearly around process details and requirements.
- An enthusiastic and open-minded approach to collaboration and relationship building.
- A team-first approach that embraces innovation and a service organization mentality.
- Ability to learn quickly, multitask and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Expertise in Google Suite and Mac OSX as well as proficiency in Windows systems.