Principal Scientist, Molecular Biology
San Francisco, CA /
Our mission is to enable pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to bring more cell and gene therapies to patients, by dramatically increasing the efficiency of viral vector production and reducing the cost of manufacturing. 64x Bio was founded by world renowned scientists and experts in gene therapy from Harvard and the Wyss Institute. Our rapidly growing and cross disciplinary team consists of creative bioengineers and synthetic biologists working alongside data scientists to create cutting-edge solutions to problems in gene therapy.
- Identify and lead integration of new molecular biology technologies and emerging practices to both drive innovation and develop improved workflows.
- Support resource management and project planning across the broader scientific team.
- Hire, onboard, and train group members and/or other contracted support.
- Direct, manage, and provide technical direction in molecular biology and associated methods to scientists working on various projects to reliably meet project deadlines.
- Troubleshoot complex challenges in the Molecular Biology group through the application of molecular biology and synthetic biology expertise and industry best practices.
- Collaborate regularly with other Research and Platform groups at 64x Bio such as Viral Vector Biology and Cell Engineering as well as other teams such as Data Science, on experimental design, interpretation of data, and rigorous tracking and recalibration of project timelines and goals.
- Design, execute and oversee experimental efforts for projects in the Molecular Biology group.
- Communicate experimental and project progress to leadership.
- Collaborate with the Operations team and other teams at 64x to secure experimental resources to complete experiments in a timely manner.
- Influence and support 64x Bio’s overall direction as a company as well as its evolving needs and company culture, as needed.
- PhD in synthetic biology, molecular biology, bioengineering, cell biology or related field.
- 8+ years of industry (preferred) experience engineering genomes using advanced, high throughput, molecular biology tools in a functional genomics context.
- Proven track record of leading successful teams and mentoring scientists to meet project goals and deadlines.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, with the ability to systematically oversee/advance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully communicate and collaborate with cross-functional and interdisciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to effectively convey project plans and complex technical information to a wide range of internal teams and leadership.
- Very strong background in molecular biology as well as functional genomics.
- Deep expertise and experience with assays, methods and accompanying data formats used in molecular biology.
- Deep expertise and experience applying molecular biology tools such as next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies in a functional genomics context.
- Ability to context-switch between big picture/project planning and deep technical discussions, in a flexible and adaptable manner.
- Ability to work with teams in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with a wide array of personalities, backgrounds, and work styles.
- Detail oriented.
- Team oriented.
- Familiarity with laboratory automation.
- Familiarity with data analysis platforms (e.g., Python, R).