Senior Scientist, Molecular Biology
San Francisco, CA /
Our mission is to enable pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to bring more cell and gene therapies to patients, by dramatically increasing the efficiency of viral vector production and reducing the cost of manufacturing. 64x Bio was founded by world renowned scientists and experts in gene therapy from Harvard and the Wyss Institute. Our rapidly growing and cross disciplinary team consists of creative bioengineers and synthetic biologists working alongside data scientists to create cutting-edge solutions to problems in gene therapy.
- Identify and lead integration of new molecular biology technologies and emerging practices to both drive innovation and develop improved workflows.
- Support resource management and project planning across the broader scientific team.
- Hire, onboard, and train group members and/or other contracted support.
- Design and execute experimental efforts for projects in the Molecular Biology group.
- Direct and manage, and provide technical direction to a small group of scientists working on various projects in molecular biology and associated methods to reliably meet project deadlines.
- Troubleshoot and guide the troubleshooting of complex challenges through the application of molecular biology and synthetic biology expertise and industry best practices.
- Collaborate regularly with Viral Vector Biology, Cell Engineering, and Bioinformatics, on experimental design, interpretation of data, and rigorous tracking and recalibration of project timelines and goals.
- Communicate experimental and project progress to leadership.
- Collaborate with the Operations team and other teams at 64x to secure experimental resources to complete experiments in the Molecular Biology group in a timely manner.
- Influence and support 64x Bio’s overall direction as a company as well as its evolving needs and company culture, as needed.
- PhD in synthetic biology, molecular biology, bioengineering, cell biology or related field.
- 5+ years of industry (preferred) experience engineering genomes using advanced, high throughput, molecular biology tools in a functional genomics context.
- Expertise and experience with assays, methods and accompanying data formats used in molecular biology.
- Expertise and experience applying molecular biology tools such as next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies in a functional genomics context.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, with the ability to advance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully communicate and collaborate with cross-functional and interdisciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to effectively convey project plans and complex technical information to a wide range of internal teams and leadership.
- Ability to context-switch between big picture/project planning and deep technical discussions, in a flexible and adaptable manner.
- Familiarity with data analysis platforms (e.g., Python, R).