Director Engineering - User & Payments Platform (m/f/d)
Tech – Software
Joyn is a digital company with the big ambition to combine all your favorite movies, shows, live television channels, and exciting video content into one place and deliver the most comprehensive user-friendly video entertainment service in the world. We believe everyone should have access to their favorite and personalized content a click or two away whether they are sitting at home or on the go.
If you share our passion, care deeply about user experience, value teamwork and ownership, and thrive in a dynamic fast-paced environment, then we'd love to talk to you. You will be building the new platform from the ground up alongside a fast growing team of incredible people, backed by some of the biggest names in digital entertainment: ProSiebenSat.1 and Discovery Networks International (+ more to come!).
About the Job
We are looking for a Director of Engineering that can drive engineering for our User & Payments Platform Domain. The teams in the Personalization & Payments Platform own the complete set of capabilities to deliver a personalized user experience and enable a smooth checkout for purchases in our new streaming platform. The Personalization & Payments Platform is a key enabler to monetize our assets and has a profound impact on the user experience and overall business success of our new product.
We believe in giving our autonomous teams a challenging mission and look for leaders that can phrase the mission for multiple teams and like to build, grow and guide our engineering teams to its full potential. You foster collaboration, lead by example and thrive in a fast paced environment while providing the technical vision and strategy to the teams and help them execute. This role is reporting directly into the CTO and part of a strong engineering leadership team that is transforming the organisation into a world-class engineering team.
What you tell people at parties
“I am working with my awesome engineering teams to rapidly build and test features and products that entertain people”
What you do
- Build, grow and guide the engineering teams in the Personalization & Payments Platform Domain - through external and internal hiring as well as developing our engineering talent into new challenges and roles.
- Support individuals in their career development and personal growth
- Set the technology vision and architectural direction for your squads and execute against that vision and agreed target state.
- Work closely with the Product Organisation and embrace lean and agile product development practises and data-driven decision making.
- Be part of a strong Engineering leadership team and ensure alignment across the engineering organization and other stakeholders.
- Continuously identify and resolves technical debt, quality issues and gaps in engineering processes.
- Apply pragmatic solutions, find the right tradeoffs and seeks to reduce complexity to help teams deliver and increase leverage for the organisation.
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices.
- Translate product and business vision and strategy into your teams and translate into outward looking technology strategy.
- Creating a healthy culture of collaboration and inclusion, lead by example in line with the engineering and company values where people can fulfil their potential and actively manage performance.
- Hire and retain top talent in the industry; inspire the organisation by exceeding expectations of consumers, stakeholders, and product and engineering teams.
- Focus on learning, applying, and extending best-in-class industry practices to continue to raise the bar on providing developer delight and speed of delivery for the teams.
Essential skills & experience required
- Confirmed engineering leader to provide mentorship, vision, and motivation for teams and transform it into a successful execution strategy.
- Significant, sound, and proven experience in system architecture and infrastructure (such as event-driven service-oriented architectures, micro-services, and API gateways).
- Experience designing and delivering robust, high-volume, highly reliable, and highly available services and APIs for use in consumer-facing applications.
- Proven track record of taking a pragmatic approach while solving problems.
- Being a good listener, but also argue for the cause when needed.
- Comfortable in a fast paced environment and able to deal with change.
- Capable of taking a helicopter view of things to get the big picture while getting into details when needed, but understand when it is appropriate doing so.
- Experience in engineering user & payments services is a plus.
- Hands-on experience with cloud computing platforms, including an understanding of scalability, security, serverless architecture, and cost control concerns.
Why you´ll love working at Joyn
● Fast-paced startup with an already strong and healthy user base
● Great opportunities for personal and professional growth
● Ability to put your stamp on an innovative product
● Passionate, diverse, and supportive team members
● Open, transparent, and bureaucracy-free company culture
● Office located in the heart of Munich
● Competitive compensation package
● Flexible working times
We're fast, well-funded and growing quickly. It's an exciting time to join us!