Lead Data Engineer (m/f/d)
Tech – BI
Joyn is a digital company with the big ambition to combine all your favorite movies, shows, live television channels, and exciting video content into one place and deliver the most comprehensive user-friendly video entertainment service in the world. We believe everyone should have access to their favorite and personalized content a click or two away whether they are sitting at home or on the go.
If you share our passion, care deeply about user experience, value teamwork and ownership, and thrive in a dynamic fast-paced environment, then we'd love to talk to you. You will be building the new platform from the ground up alongside a fast growing team of incredible people, backed by some of the biggest names in digital entertainment: ProSiebenSat.1 and Discovery Networks International (+ more to come!).
At Joyn you will work with the sizeable data of our video streaming platform as well as data from external sources. Together with your team of talented and passionate data engineers you are building a data platform in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment. We are an Agile organisation and believe in autonomous teams that are given a challenge and work towards a missions. Therefore we need technical leaders with an agile mindset, who lead by example, enjoy working in a very dynamic environment, and are able to guide, mentor and grow high performing product development teams.
What you can expect
- Assume the technical leadership role for the team building our new stream processing data platform, based on Kafka and Snowflake
- You will develop and optimize strategies for our stream processing pipeline and data models, using Node.js, Python and SQL
- Drive a culture of good engineering practises and implement processes, systems and tools to aid and empower the team in their day to day work.
- Facilitate technical design and architectural discussions in your team and align with other engineering teams
- Together with our teams you will work on business requirements and translate them into technical specifications
- You will develop our systems and processes hands-on
- Drive the future road map of our data platform by researching new tools and technologies
How you do it
- You have a deep passion for working on a mission-driven tech product that is designed to solve a complex user problem
- For your team of talented engineers you provide technical leadership and guide the team in technical and product decisions and help us meet the product and business requirements with your technical solution.
- You believe in a servant leadership style that creates a healthy culture of collaboration and inclusion inline with the engineering and company values where people can fulfil their potential.
- You believe sharing your knowledge benefits everybody on the team and you mentor and develop the skills of the developers in your team.
- We like to get any potential elephants out of the room and resolve possible conflicts so we can focus on the product. You help us build an open, collaborative and candid culture that is built on trust.
- You are the technical wingman of the Director of Data Engineering and work closely with them to solve difficult product and business problems.
- You lead by example and instill the values that ensure your team maintains high level of competence and operational excellence
- You have fun at work!
- Experienced working as a line manager or tech lead in a progressive Agile company
- You have people management / leadership experience - managing, and nurturing talent, as well as managing under and over-performers
- You have a degree in computer science or a very high level of practical experience in the field
- You have been working in data engineering or business intelligence for several years, ideally in media or ecommerce
- Professional working experience in Node.js, Python and SQL, additional languages are a plus
- You have several years of experience in designing, developing and operating data warehouses and you have expert knowledge in relational database systems
- You have created stream processing pipelines, ideally using Kafka
- You know at least the basics of the Data Vault 2.0 approach, ideally you have already implemented it
- You have a good overview of the various data processing frameworks and tools in the market
- Experience with AWS services, especially auto-scaling and serverless
- Working experience with CI/CD, test- and deployment automation, and containers
- English is our team language
Why you´ll love working at Joyn
● Fast-paced startup with an already strong and healthy user base
● Great opportunities for personal and professional growth
● Ability to put your stamp on an innovative product
● Passionate, diverse, and supportive team members
● Open, transparent, and bureaucracy-free company culture
● Office located in the heart of Munich
● Competitive compensation package
● Flexible working times
We're fast, well-funded and growing quickly. It's an exciting time to join us!