Investor Relations Manager
Chicago, IL /
Investor Engagement /
About Alumni Ventures
AV's purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 150+ employees and 19 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $800 million and has invested in over 800 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 600,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
About This Role
Alumni Ventures is searching for an Investor Relations Manager who will serve a critical role supporting the work of our investor engagement and fundraising teams for our venture funds, through clerical & ministerial work that is organized & delivered with excellence. Leveraging AV’s playbooks, the Investor Relations Manager will partner with our Managing Partners and Senior Partners (Partners) to assist AV investors.
Today, AV delivers a direct-to-investor approach to thousands of accredited individual investors. Our product is simple: actively-managed venture capital portfolios. These portfolios are carefully diversified across stage, sector, geography, and primarily co-invested with established VC firms across the country. To optimize our investment professionals' time and ensure that AV’s fundraising and investor engagement teams have the support they need, our Investor Relations Managers provide administrative support, including community member and investor service support, to our Managing Partners during a fund’s annual capital raise and on an ongoing basis.
Successful Investor Relations Managers draw on a background in customer-facing roles with a B2C organization to support our Partners in their objectives. This role does not solicit investments, and is not compensated based on fundraising metrics. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in strategic client engagement, specifically within the financial services industry, and will have demonstrated the ability to both execute and further develop processes to deliver on objectives as a part of a larger team.
Reporting to a General Manager within AV’s Community organization, Investor Relations Managers collaborate with peers and work closely with teammates across our corporate and investment functions.
- Act as the day to day clerical point of contact for new and current investors – helping AV provide informational or educational AV product materials and guidance on AV customer service and investor onboarding processes
- Engage with community members interested in connecting with a Partner to learn about AV fund offerings – coordinate phone calls, in person meetings, and Zoom calls
- Build and enhance relationships with our community members and investors by engaging via chat and email to support their administrative or clerical needs, or to connect them with AV resources to answer their questions.
- Provide community members and investors with relevant, pre-approved product, process, and company information, based on investor requests.
- Support Partners in preparation and execution of in-person meetings and webinar events.
- Provide Partners and General Manager regular data, updates, and guidance on investor engagement, new investor onboarding, and individually assigned strategic projects.
- Track data and produce reports to support the work of General Managers, Managing Partners, and Senior Partners in their work.
- Look for strategic opportunities to streamline processes and procedures providing for more efficient and timely execution of team activities.
- 1-3 years in a service or support oriented customer-facing role, ideally in financial services and interacting with sales professionals and/or HNW or UNHW individuals
- Proven ability to engage with a wide spectrum of people over several types of communication (email, phone, text, chat) with high attention to detail.
- Demonstrated success supporting teams in achieving or exceeding on objectives through the effective engagement with clients,
- Very high EQ and empathy for prospects and clients, demonstrated by a drive to solve customer problems, answer customer questions by connecting them with AV fundraising professionals or informational materials.
- Strong judgement, ability to interpret and uncover challenges, anticipate client needs and professionally identify information and solutions
- Experience building, evaluating and improving the processes used by customer-facing sales and/or fundraising professionals.
- Expertise in HubSpot’s CRM (or equivalent) and marketing tools and experience using software to track multiple projects and progress is a plus
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, balanced by ability to get stuff done and communicate big picture
- Strong teamwork orientation and ability to get along with a variety of personalities
- Analytical, with passion for intelligently measuring and assessing results; knowledge of Excel, data organization, pivot tables
- Highly organized
- Proficient with data & reporting
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in the venture capital and/or startup industry
- Process orientation; willingness and ability to both follow process and also identify and communicate opportunities for process improvements
- Strategic relationship building and management
- Able to engage and relate to a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Strong sense of urgency around advancing process and supporting team members in reaching their goals
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.