Principal Software Engineer
Greater Boston /
About Alumni Ventures
AV's purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 150+ employees and 19 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $800 million and has invested in over 800 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 600,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
About This Role
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to design and develop Alumni Ventures' foundational software. The Principal Software Engineer role will see the "big picture" for our architectural approach, and lead in the implementation through hands-on involvement in our proprietary, cloud-based venture capital platform.
Success in this role would include a deep understanding and focus on the scalable development of the platform, rather than day-to-day releases.
- Leading and management through hands-on development and coding.
- Develop high-level product specifications with attention to system integration and feasibility.
- Collaborate with other professionals to determine functional and non-functional requirements for new software or applications.
- Define all aspects of development from appropriate technology and workflow to coding standards.
- Communicate successfully all concepts and guidelines to development
- 7-10 years experience with building software products.
- Strong AWS skills.
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming and/or functional programming.
- Experience working successfully in an Agile software development environment.
- Proven work experience in web programming and web application development.
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.