Marketing Performance Manager
Greater Boston /
About Alumni Ventures
AV's purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 150+ employees and 19 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $800 million and has invested in over 800 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 600,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
About This Role
The goal of marketing at AV is to generate new retail investors (customers) for our dozens of venture capital funds. Our digitally-led marketing strategy is a mix of B2C and B2B disciplines, including paid and organic social, paid search, media partnerships, lead generation, landing pages, email marketing, lead nurture, and more.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Nurture and Web, the Marketing Performance Manager will continually monitor the performance of a complex and large ecosystem of emails of various types (individual, automated, drips, workflows, etc.) as well as our website traffic to observe trends and areas for improvement. You’ll leverage your analytical expertise to assist organizationally as we strive for consistently improving engagement metrics and drive towards perfecting the mechanism of conversion from prospect to customer.
- Perform regular analysis (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually) to observe and report on email and website performance.
- Track critical email performance and marketing health metrics including open rates, click-thru rates, click-to-open rates, conversions, unsubscribes, spam reports, and sending reputation.
- Track important web performance metrics including number of users and sessions monthly, average session duration, average pages per session, the ratio of new to returning visitors, bounce rate, organic vs. paid sessions, average time on page and top landing pages, and domain authority.
- Track important prospect behavior metrics using segmentation and lead age factors to establish a keen understanding of our prospect journey including significant events like account creation, booked calls, and conversion to customer.
- Propose and conduct A/B and multivariate tests to drive improvement across email and web.
- Provide contextual comparisons (individual product-specific comparisons YOY instead of general benchmarks) and can translate the underlying metrics into qualitative business reasonings.
- Display an intimate working knowledge of the key details of a large library of emails.
- Work cross-functionally with the analytics and communications teams to ensure a cross-platform content strategy.
- Education. Bachelor’s degree. Marketing, media, communications, analytics, or related field preferred.
- Experience. 5-7 years web and email analytics.
- Analytical. Passion for intelligently measuring and assessing results, driving continuous improvement, and A/B testing.
- Entrepreneurial DNA. Thrives in fast-paced environments and has the ability to both lead advertising strategy and execute campaigns individually.
- Teamwork. Team player able to get along with a variety of personalities and across disciplines including marketing, creative, management, legal, and others.
- Technology. An aptitude for using marketing technology to closely analyze performance.
- 5+ years using a marketing automation platform (Hubspot or similar equivalent preferred) to perform A/B testing and analyze email and campaign performance.
- 5+ years using Google Analytics or similar to track website performance.
- 2+ years using Tableau or similar data visualization tool to display, report and share important analytic findings.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to manage many email campaigns simultaneously and without error.
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities, with specific demonstrated experience communication current state analytics and path to improvement.
- User-centric. Highly creative with experience in delivering compelling email and web content for target audiences.
- 2+ years in investment, financial services, or consumer goods and services industries preferred.
- Familiarity with search engine optimization and the metrics that impact performance.
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.