Senior Associate, Towerview Ventures
New York, NY /
Fund Teams /
About Alumni Ventures
AV's purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 140+ employees and 19 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has invested in over 700 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of hundreds of thousands of stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
About This Role
Towerview Ventures, Alumni Ventures’ fund for Duke alumni and friends of the community, is seeking an investment professional to help support the fund’s rapid growth. This is a unique opportunity to support AV in identifying, vetting, and closing top deals within a high-visibility investment vehicle.
This individual will support the Managing Partner’s efforts to source, evaluate, conduct due diligence and support portfolio companies post-close, ultimately play a key role in the execution and management of early-stage venture investments AV.
You'll be joining a fast-paced, professional, and entrepreneurial environment where you'll have significant input into the creation of a unique, diversified, fast-growing portfolio. You will leverage a well-vetted playbook, back-office support, and processes created by the parent company Alumni Ventures to help in executing your role and collaborate with a talented team of marketing and investing professionals.
- Develop investment memos and execute the Investment Committee processes
- Assist in the monitoring of existing investments and support existing founders in the portfolio across a variety of efforts.
- Maintain fund performance metrics in close collaboration with AV back office / finance support.
- Manage deal flow and related database inputs
- Identify and research potential investment opportunities, as well as develop and maintain the deal pipeline
- Conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects:
- Vet potential deal opportunities that align with AV’s investment mandate, including interviewing company teams, competitors, customers, etc..
- Present companies and work closely and collaboratively with the Managing Partner, as well as other teams within AV
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about AV and our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Work closely with sibling funds to identify mutual interesting investment opportunities
- Develop and maintain proprietary deal and market intelligence
- Contribute positively to AV's culture
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years of experience in venture capital preferred
- 4-7 years of additional professional experience in finance, start-up strategy/operations, consulting and/or other applicable experience
- MBA preferred but not required
- Strong analytical, financial analysis, organizational, and writing skills
- A professional presence combined with relationship and communication skills to interact effectively with internal and external parties
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate, and critique a venture’s business model, market opportunity, and team
- Awareness of the venture capital community, including leading investment funds and partners, historical successes and failures
- Familiarity with typical venture capital deal structures, terms, and industry practices
- Knowledge and interest in current technology, trends, and developments
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and execute on processes while working with diverse and/or remote stakeholders
- Adept at organizing, analyzing, and reporting on data; notices and addresses important details with a high degree of accuracy
- Demonstrated interest and experience in emerging companies, and experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Good networker, with an ability to help grow our system and process for identifying investment opportunities
- Self-starter and independent manager, but great team player, preferably with personnel management experience
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.