Venture Portfolio and Exits Manager
Manchester, NH /
Office of Investing /
About Alumni Ventures
AV's purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 150+ employees and 19 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $800 million and has invested in over 800 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 600,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
About This Role
AV’s Office Of Investing (OOI) is seeking a Venture Portfolio and Exits Manager to support the work of monitoring and exiting our portfolio. With over 800 portfolio companies working to change the world, at any time dozens are raising follow-on rounds or successfully exiting. In conjunction with other AV teammates, there is a lot to organize, optimize, manage, and execute.
The successful Venture Operations Manager will be a key lieutenant of the CIO and help lead new process development, projects, and innovative initiatives for the portfolio; and will serve as a key bridge between the investing teams and OOI. This is a full-time position based in our Manchester, NH headquarters with some travel required for the successful execution of responsibilities.
- Lead the portfolio management and exit of 800 companies, with several hundred more added each year.
- Map out and streamline our current portfolio management, relationship management, portfolio scoring, and exit processes.
- Design systems to improve operational efficiency, with the long term goal of automating manual tasks.
- Build rapport with seasoned investment teams to achieve process adherence.
- Support the collection of critical information to initiate, coordinate, and execute optimal venture exits / outcomes.
- Work with Finance and Legal departments to comply with internal policies and external regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate OOI and Finance departments, and investment teams, to ensure accurate carry and client distribution calculations.
- Collaborate with the Communications and Compliance departments to coordinate and prepare announcements for AV clients and community.
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA preferred
- VC investing and/or entrepreneurial operations experience strongly preferred
- Entrepreneurially proclivities; operating background a plus
- Demonstrated experience in forming, training, implementing, and executing standardized business processes.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience (more preferred)
- Ability to think strategically about new projects and simultaneously get deep into execution details for building and improving new systems, processes, and execution
- Builder, execution, and ownership mindset
- Experience and / or comfort organizing and leading the operations of distributed teams, leveraging proprietary and enterprise technology solutions
- Track record of organization and manage complexity in a fast paced environment
- Experience in venture operations, systems engineering, process improvement, and / or management consulting. Financial services industry experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated interest in venture capital, emerging technologies, and innovation.
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.