All Locations /
About Alumni Ventures
AV's purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 150+ employees and 19 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $800 million and has invested in over 800 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 600,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
About This Role
Alumni Ventures is seeking a Senior Software Engineer who will serve as an architect, contributor and client-facing, cross-functional member of our growing company’s engineering organization. In addition to mentoring more junior staff, the Senior Software Engineer will support the design and development of our proprietary, cloud-based venture software platform.
Success for AV's Senior Software Engineer will be achieved by meeting the demand of our rapidly growing business for customized software while managing both emergency requests and maintenance requirements as a leader and contributor to AV’s existing engineering function.
- Architect new projects from scratch
- Write clean, readable and well-documented code
- Develop unit tests to ensure application quality
- Document new and existing application features
- Coordinate tasks with designers, developers and project management to ensure the timely delivery of software features
Required Technology Skills
- MySQL, Database Management
- AWS experience, including any of the following are helpful: EC2, S3, RDS, Lambda, API Gateway, Elastic Beanstalk, CodePipeline
Desired Technology Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in a similar role
- Experience mentoring other developers
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming and/or functional programming
- Experience working successfully in an Agile software development environment
- Proven work experience in web programming and web application development
- A strong understanding of user interfaces, cross-browser compatibility, general web functions and standards
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices
- Proficient and demonstrable knowledge of relational database systems
- Experience in planning and delivering software platforms used across multiple products and organizational units
- Functional knowledge or hands-on design experience with web services (REST)
- Great “team player” attitude balanced with a willingness to serve as a solo project manager
- Proactive, a solutions oriented problem-solver
- Flexibility and adaptability, a fast learner who is able to both apply and adopt skills readily
- Quality development and efficient delivery of custom software applications to be leveraged by AV’s business and operations functions
- Effective mentoring of Engineering department’s junior staff members
- Rapid and effective response to emergent business needs including requests for design, build, upgrade and modification across AV’s portfolio of applications
- Ongoing maintenance and support for existing systems and platforms via proactive analysis, problem-solving and solution identification
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.