Senior Data Engineer
Manchester, NH /
About Alumni Ventures
Alumni Ventures (AV) is a fast-growing, network-powered venture capital firm disrupting the VC industry. We are democratizing venture investing by allowing individuals the opportunity to invest into previously inaccessible startups.
We believe in growing and engaging with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to challenge the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by our mission, we are growing rapidly, with over 150 employees and 20 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, Menlo Park, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $1B to date from over 1,000 investors and is the third most active VC in the world (Pitchbook 2021) with over 900 portfolio companies. We recently won several awards, including Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies 2022 (Financial Services) and Bezinga’s Most Innovative Personal Investment Company 2021. AV invests alongside well-known lead investors such as Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins and Bessemer.
About This Role
AV is building a revolutionary data analytics platform for investment and investor data to support our fast growing and innovative business. AV is searching for a Senior Data Engineer who will serve a critical role in the development of this platform for the data and engineering teams. These teams partner across the business to turn data into information, information into insights and insights into key business decisions that steer the strategic direction of the company. The right person for this role thrives in a fast-paced environment, loves problem-solving and is a good communicator. If you are someone who gains personal happiness from designing data warehouse models, working with APIs, writing python code, and transforming data to make it useful, then this role is for you.
- Design, implement and support end-to-end analytical solutions that are highly available, scalable, stable, secure, and cost-effective
- Interface with other technology teams and 3rd party providers to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using Python, SQL and AWS.
- Explore and learn the latest AWS technologies to provide new capabilities and increase efficiency
- Collaborate with Data Scientists and Business Intelligence Engineers (BIEs) to recognize and help adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation
- Help continually improve ongoing reporting and analysis processes, automating or simplifying self-service support for customers
- Improve data quality and data security by using & improving internal tools to automatically detect issues.
- 4+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
- 4+ years of experience in Python
- BS in computer science
- Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
- 4+ years of experience in SQL
- Experience working with Vertica or other columnar databases.
- 5+ years of industry experience in software development, data engineering, business intelligence, data science, or related field
- Data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing experience
- Familiarity with statistical models and data mining algorithms
- Experience manipulating, processing, and extracting value from datasets
- Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
- Masters in computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative fields.
- Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy
- Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering
- Experience using big data technologies such as BigQuery, Spark, Hive, Redshift, or S3
- Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.