Deputy General Counsel & Deputy CCO
Manchester, NH /
About Alumni Ventures
Alumni Ventures (AV) is a fast-growing, network-powered venture capital firm disrupting the VC industry. We are democratizing venture investing by allowing individuals the opportunity to invest into previously inaccessible startups.
We believe in growing and engaging with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to challenge the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by our mission, we are growing rapidly, with over 150 employees and 20 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, Menlo Park, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $1B to date from over 1,000 investors and is the third most active VC in the world (Pitchbook 2021) with over 900 portfolio companies. We recently won several awards, including Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies 2022 (Financial Services) and Bezinga’s Most Innovative Personal Investment Company 2021. AV invests alongside well-known lead investors such as Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins and Bessemer.
Deputy General Counsel & Deputy CCO
We’re seeking an experienced, entrepreneurial candidate to work with the GC/CCO to lead and implement strategic and tactical legal and compliance initiatives impacted by SEC (especially Investment Advisers Act) and other US and international regulations, as well as general US company law. As Deputy GC/CCO, the individual will report to and work closely with the GC/CCO, acting as the strong #2 for a rapidly growing VC firm and legal and compliance department that continuously innovates and needs to address novel and developing legal and compliance issues in the asset management space. This is a terrific career opportunity for the right individual to act as a senior leader of the firm while taking day-to-day ownership of various projects, working closely with the firm’s executive team, business leaders and personnel across the firm, not only on securities and investment advisory matters but also on the full range of legal issues impacting an expanding US business.
The Deputy GC/CCO will play a critical role in structuring complex relationships, organizational structures, and critical contracts while providing counsel to the organization and handling law & compliance matters involving all elements of the firm’s business, including operations, investments, marketing, finance, technology, human resources, governance, etc. In addition to securities legal and regulatory matters, the Deputy GC/CCO will provide representation, advice, and opinions in other substantive areas of law affecting the company, including employment, contracting and real estate law.
The Deputy GC/CCO will help develop and implement the firm’s compliance program as AV continues to expand its products and business generally. Key areas where the Deputy GC/CCO can provide value are providing guidance to AV’s investing and growth teams as AV does more investing and other activities internationally, as well as in burgeoning asset classes such as blockhain/cryptocurrencies. This individual will help oversee the other members of the law and compliance team, and will work with and help manage outside counsel and legal budgets. This role can be located in AV’s offices in Boston or Manchester, New Hampshire, and will include regular meetings in the New Hampshire HQ. We currently expect that after an initial onboarding period of in-office work, that the role will likely be a flexible role (~3 days/week in AV office and ~2 days/week from home or remote office), subject to future evolution of company policies.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an individual to make a significant strategic impact on the legal and compliance infrastructure of a growing, unique venture capital firm.
- Address and appropriately resolve issues regarding law and compliance
- Support legal and compliance efforts related to advertising, marketing, sales, investments, reporting, supervisory oversight, training, regulatory examinations, licensing and registrations
- Assist in updating and revising of investment vehicles’ offering documents and related materials, as well as structuring new product offerings and arrangements needed for new business initiatives
- Provide support to AV’s investment teams, fund accounting, corporate finance, operations and technology functions relating to the management of AV’s investments and business generally
- Prepare, negotiate, and manage a wide variety of contractual arrangements
- Provide legal guidance and structure for carried interest policies & agreements, as well as company equity (profits interest units) and compensation issues
- Oversee and manage potential litigation and internal investigations and audits
- Provide counsel on and project manage legal and compliance issues, including tracking and reporting
- Assist with the drafting, implementation, training, and periodic revisions of corporate policies and securities-related compliance program
- Support the people and culture team on managing legal aspects of employee issues; the facilities and operations team on managing real estate & vendor relationships, and other major business topics.
- Manage operating agreements and entity structure & organization
- Help manage legal team personnel, as well as outside law firms and overall legal budget
- Law degree (JD) and is a member of a state bar in a relevant state, along with knowledge of the U.S. legal framework for providing fiduciary investment advisory asset management fundraising and investment services
- 7-15 years of legal experience, either as in-house counsel at a relevant business, or as a member of an investment management group at a law firm. Professional experience in entrepreneurial settings preferred
- Professional experience with asset management firms and compliance requirements required
- Experience with VC fund structuring, PPM documentation, and venture investing preferred
- Knowledge of corporate/securities law, preferably with exposure to one or more of venture transactions, blockchain/cryptocurrencies and international transactions and regulations
- Direct experience as in-house counsel is preferred
- Entrepreneurial with a willingness to identify and solve potential issues where clear precedents may be lacking
- Team-oriented and demonstrated track record of commitment to shared success
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop collaborative relationships at all levels in inside and outside the organization
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.