Managing Partner, Blockchain Fund
New York, NY /
Fund Teams /
About Alumni Ventures
AV's purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 140+ employees and 19 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has invested in over 700 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of hundreds of thousands of stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
About This Role
We are currently underway building a second and independent investment fund and team for our Blockchain Fund, our highly successful fund investing in companies making innovative use of blockchain technology. As such, we are seeking a Managing Partner who will contribute primarily to venture capital investing (from sourcing to exiting deals) but also to building our community (fundraising, and community development and engagement). This individual will lead the fund’s investment activities leveraging our network-powered approach to venture co-investing and portfolio management, building annual high-quality venture funds alongside leading U.S. venture capitalists.
As Managing Partner of this Fund, you will source and sponsor venture deals, and manage a small team within a much larger network of ~20 Alumni Funds, ~8 Focused Funds, 50+ investment professionals, and more than 100 colleagues in various support functions. You will report to AV’s Investment Teams’ Board. This is a full-time position based in one of our offices with some travel required for the successful execution of your responsibilities.
- MBA graduate or advanced degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience and a strong track record in professional venture investing
- Demonstrated experience investing in Blockchain technology
- Significant experience in an executive/leadership role
- Significant investing experience across various sectors and stages
- Entrepreneurial DNA; broad operating background a plus
- Demonstrated experience in implementing and executing standardized business processes
- Comfortable and enthusiastic supporter of AV’s unique model
- Significant venture network. Ready and able to engage a network of venture and startup professionals who can provide you and the fund access to a high number of exceptional investing opportunities.
- Strong network within the Blockchain community and ecosystem
- Demonstrated interest in emerging technologies and innovation, as evidenced by a professional track record of meaningful involvement in the startup space and personal involvement with opportunities around cutting-edge technology
- Experience advising, consulting, and valuing emerging companies and/or new technologies
- Track record of investing, including significant venture experience in finding, doing, monitoring, and harvesting deals
- Proven ability to build rapport with entrepreneurs, management teams, boards of directors, venture capitalists, and other contributors to the venture ecosystem
- Domain expertise in one or more tech/startup sectors
- Strong fundraising skills and ability to excel in all aspects of holding meetings, leading calls, detailed follow-up, and closing
- Track record of being able to build meaningful relationships with UHNW and HNW individuals
- Strong deal sheet
- Meet and exceed regular, periodic goals as established by HQ and all appropriate functional departments (i.e., Community, Office of Investments, etc.).
- Establish, manage, and grow personal relationships with network contacts, particularly in the blockchain sector, throughout the venture community and well beyond
- Identify top-tier deal resources and conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help cement deal flow for the fund
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Research and evaluate each company and industry as a potential investment, including company teams, competitors, and customers
- Help oversee and manage due diligence
- Manage your Blockchain team with active coaching and mentoring
- Work directly with the fund’s team to develop an investment pipeline, and portfolio manage existing investments
- Present companies to Investment Committee and respond to Investment Committee, CIO and LP questions
- Lead and close conversations and meetings with fund investors
- Serve as the primary face of the fund and help drive community growth, strength, and effectiveness
- Serve as an ambassador of AV, representing the company’s mission, goals, and brand
- Work directly with the AV portfolio companies to develop a strong relationship to facilitate future investments, aggressively pursue promising follow-on opportunities, monitor progress, facilitate Portfolio Services
- Lead investor relations and potential investor outreach
- Working cooperatively with sister blockchain fund
- Take responsibility for providing growth opportunities for all AV teammates.
- Engage with and support our Fellows, provide mentorship and leverage their time to support fund activities
- Help supervise back-end functions as needed
- Understand regulatory restrictions and specialized issues related to operating as a regulated VC fund
- Suggest improvements to our approach, process, products, and services
- Be an exceptional teammate and partner for the fund, your sister funds, and fellow colleagues
- Adhere to AV policies and procedures regarding conduct, job performance, information management and administrative functions, communicating appropriately regarding any need for exceptions
- Adhere to AV standards and processes for deal evaluation and portfolio management and construction
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.