Manchester, NH /
About Alumni Ventures
AV's purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 150+ employees and 19 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $800 million and has invested in over 800 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 600,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
About This Role
Alumni Ventures is a disruptive venture capitalist, targeting accredited “retail” investors with highly accessible venture products. We offer smart, simple diversified venture portfolios through over two dozen investment products, welcoming everyone from first-time venture participants to highly sophisticated and experienced investors.
As Editorial Director at Alumni Ventures, you’ll be responsible for designing and implementing a content strategy to serve our funds and constituents’ marketing and informational needs. Your goals will be to develop content to educate the market on the venture asset class, position AV as the leader in offering VC to accredited individuals, and demonstrate our value as a co-investor to VCs and founders. As you maintain, evolve, and grow the broad range of content we create, you’ll help AV build brand authority, public trust, and support efficiency in our fundraising efforts.
The Editorial Director will manage and nurture a team of talented content writers and creators and collaborate with graphics, video, and comms operations teams, all under the direction of our Senior Vice President of Communications. The Editorial Director will also collaborate with company stakeholders to conceptualize, create, and execute content pieces for various needs and audiences.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Communications and ideally will work out of our Manchester, NH headquarters.
- Perform ongoing content inventories and periodic in-depth audits to assess the current status of our content marketing efforts, find gaps, and adapt our process, content strategy, and editorial plan to better serve our intended audiences.
- Develop a content map for a variety of audience personas, content pillars, and specific objectives. Build an editorial calendar that defines which content serves which segment of our audience.
- Continually innovate and add to our portfolios content formats and themes, both for recurring and one-time pieces, and think creatively about repurposing content into derivative pieces across a range of formats and channels
- Help optimize our content efforts for SEO with a focus on keyword strategy and copywriting
- Monitor and report against content analytics, helping teams understand what content resonates with our audience, how different audience segments interact with our content, and learn what content drives conversions — shaping our ongoing content strategy. Suggest tests to further understand, identify weaknesses, and build on strengths.
- Perform quarterly reviews to identify content that needs refreshing, retiring, reformatting.
- Actively follow developments in relevant fields (venture, publishing, technology, etc.) and share and implement findings as appropriate
- Understand AV’s audiences and goals and how Comms serves them
- Oversee the management prioritization, production, publication, and analytics of a variety of AV content mapped to our editorial calendar (targeted at prospects, community, existing investors, and internal audiences) from newsletters to blogs, white papers, guides, infographics, videos, decks, emails, and much more, in an on-brand, on-target, high-quality, and ever-compliant manner.
- Manage content project intake, work within the defined budget and schedule, allocate/assign resources (internal and/or contractors), collaborate with content producers and other asset contributors, incorporate feedback from stakeholders
- Help streamline content operations with tools and tech to maintain a single source of truth for assets
- Develop playbooks, style guides, and process outlines as needed to assist the department and company in content production
- Efficiently manage and plan editorial budget and internal and external resources
- Serve as an active writer, editor, and copyeditor on a variety of content
- Understand and help watchdog our standards for quality, brand, and voice, also helping us evolve our standards as needed
- Master rules and guidelines for compliance and help monitor and coach the team about best practices; work with internal and external compliance reviewers to cross-check Comms work
People & Culture
- Interview, hire, and train employees and contractors
- Directly assign and supervise the editorial staff of managers and writers (internal and contractors), overseeing schedules and priorities, planning, execution, review, publishing/posting
- Coach, mentor, and develop editorial staff to help grow their skills and accomplishments in keeping with their goals and AV’s needs
- Serve as liaison between the editorial staff and content requesters from various departments, to understand goals, needs, priorities, and timing
- Work with sales, marketing, office of investing, CEO Services, finance, people and culture, and other departments to help identify and target certain audiences with relevant themed content and communications, esp. prospective, and existing investors, founders and other VCs
- Collaborate across the Comms department, coordinating with the graphics and ops directors to plan and execute content
- Effectively manage up to the SVP, with regular, concise updates; intelligent consulting; and ready solutions to roadblocks/problems
- Serve as a spokesperson for Comms department and AV in general
- Masters or higher in communications, English, journalism, or related degree or experience equivalent
- 7+ years as a professional business writer and editor
- 5+ years at a director-level with successful staff management experience, strong leadership skills, editorial planning, and budget planning/oversight
- Outstanding writing, editing, and proofing skills and excellent verbal communicator, with ability to translate technical and complex ideas into compelling content
- Experience producing a broad array of content, including newsletters, emails, blogs, videos, etc.
- Strong web and multimedia skills, demonstrable online content management experience
- Good sense of effective, on-brand design and compelling, relevant graphics that help tell the story
- Superior ability to read, analyze, and act upon readership/viewership analytics, demonstrating revenue and/or audience gains made by learning from metrics, improving SEO, and other content changes
- Success in growing and nurturing social communities
- Understanding of and ability to translate branding and voice across a universe of content
- Team player, who communicates effectively with co-workers, while also managing independently
- Good judgment and decision-making, high IQ and EQ
- Ability to flex, change gears quickly, and remain highly productive in an entrepreneurial fast-changing environment
- Natural problem-solver, who meets challenges with resourcefulness
- Demonstrated comfort with new technologies across media and desire to keep learning
- Ability to identify, negotiate with, and oversee external vendors/contractors as needed
- Adept in Microsoft Office programs including Excel, Adobe products; ability to learn and master our project management software and CRM (Wrike and HubSpot)
- Highly desired: Understanding of and ability to use SEO effectively
- Highly desired: Experience in WordPress
- Highly desired: Experience in fundraising and/or editing content about financial products and tech companies, especially for sophisticated audiences.
- All applications must include a resume, cover letter, and writing/editing samples.
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.