Senior Associate, The Yard Ventures
Multiple Locations /
Fund Teams /
About Alumni Ventures
AV's purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 140+ employees and 19 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has invested in over 700 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of hundreds of thousands of stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
About This Role
We are currently underway building a second and independent investment fund and team for The Yard Ventures, our highly successful fund for Harvard alumni and friends. As such, we are seeking an experienced, full-time investing venture Senior Associate who can source, recruit, research, and evaluate opportunities.
This individual will support the team’s efforts to source, evaluate, conduct due diligence and support portfolio companies post-close, ultimately playing a key role in the execution and management of early stage venture investments at AV. The successful Senior Associate will have significant input into the creation of a unique portfolio amassing highly valuable strategic assets. This is a full-time position based in one of our offices with some travel required for the successful execution of responsibilities.
- Develop investment memos and execute the Investment Committee processes
- Assist in the monitoring of existing investments and support existing founders in the portfolio across a variety of efforts.
- Maintain fund performance metrics in close collaboration with AV back office / finance support.
- Manage deal flow and related database inputs
- Identify and research potential investment opportunities, as well as develop and maintain the deal pipeline
- Conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects:
- Vet potential deal opportunities that align with AV’s investment mandate, including interviewing company teams, competitors, customers, etc..
- Present companies and work closely and collaboratively with the Managing Partner, as well as other teams within AV
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about AV and our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Work closely with sibling funds to identify mutual interesting investment opportunities
- Develop and maintain proprietary deal and market intelligence
- Contribute positively to AV's culture
- Bachelor’s degree
- MBA preferred but not required
- 1-2+ years of experience in an investing role within venture capital
- 3-5+ years of additional professional experience in finance, start-up strategy/operations, consulting and/or other applicable experience
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Excellent work ethic and professional demeanor
- Demonstrated interest and experience in entrepreneurship, as well as emerging companies and technologies
- Experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Track-record of managing multiple, complex projects at the same time
- Strong writer and communicator, excellent listener, with superior sales skills and comfort regularly interacting with potential community members
- Capable networker, with an ability to grow our system and process for identifying deals
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, balanced by ability to get and communicate big picture
- Self-starter and independent manager, but good team player and personnel manager
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
- Database management and strong technical and social media experience a big plus
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.