Principal, Green D Ventures
Menlo Park, CA /
Fund Teams /
About Alumni Ventures
Alumni Ventures (AV) is a fast growing, network-powered venture capital firm disrupting the VC industry. We are democratizing venture investing by allowing individuals the opportunity to invest into previously inaccessible startups.
We believe in growing and engaging with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to challenge the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by our mission, we are growing rapidly, with over 180 employees and 20 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, Menlo Park, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has raised over $900MM to date from thousands of investors and is the third most active VC in the world (Pitchbook 2021) with over 900 portfolio companies. We recently won several awards, including Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies 2022 (Financial Services) and Bezinga’s Most Innovative Personal Investment Company 2021. AV invests alongside well-known lead investors such as Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins and Bessemer.
About This Role
Green D Ventures, Alumni Ventures’ fund for Dartmouth alumni and friends of the community, is seeking an experienced, full-time investing venture Principal who can source, recruit, research, and evaluate venture opportunities.
This individual will serve as a leader of the Fund’s investing work: deal sourcing, researching, evaluating, and managing relationships with portfolio companies and fellow venture investors. The successful Principal will drive enhanced deal quality and improve co-investing opportunities for AV and will have significant input into the creation of a unique portfolio amassing highly valuable strategic assets. AV is a fast-paced, professional, entrepreneurial environment. As Principal, this individual will report directly to and work closely with the Managing Partner of the fund.
- Network with various players in the startup ecosystem
- Identify deal resources and conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships
- Prepare and distribute due diligence packages
- Research and evaluate each opportunity as a potential investment, including interviewing company teams, competitors, and customers
- Recruit, train, and manage interns/fellows to help support deal outreach and research
- Present opportunities and respond to Managing Partner and LP questions, run deal meetings, and orchestrate IC meetings
- Help create and manage our company database, monitoring prospects on an ongoing basis
- Assemble and update CRM on companies and entrepreneurs
- As requested, assist with investor relations and potential investor outreach
- Help supervise back-end functions as needed
- Suggest improvements to our approach, process, products, and services
- Bachelor’s degree
- MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Strong connection to the Dartmouth community required
- 1-5 years of professional venture investing experience
- 7-10 years of additional experience in finance, venture capital, or entrepreneurship
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Excellent work ethic and professional demeanor
- Demonstrated interest and experience in entrepreneurship, as well as emerging companies and technologies
- Experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Track-record of managing multiple, complex projects at the same time
- Strong writer and communicator, excellent listener, with superior sales skills and comfort regularly interacting with potential community members
- Capable networker, with an ability to grow our system and process for identifying deals
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, balanced by ability to get and communicate big picture
- Self-starter and independent manager, but good team player and personnel manager
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
- Database management and strong technical and social media experience a big plus
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.