Senior Director, Sales Operations
Manchester, NH /
About Alumni Ventures
AV's purpose is to grow and engage with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures (AV) is growing rapidly, with 140+ employees and 19 investing teams working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AV provides accredited investors with a smart, simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AV offers dozens of distinct funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of many top universities nationwide, Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited individual investors, and Syndications Funds consisting of an individual startup company investment, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AV is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AV has invested in over 700 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of hundreds of thousands of stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AV typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats.
About This Role
Alumni Ventures is searching for a Sr. Director who will oversee the Senior Partner sales team and call-taking processes for our funds that provide accredited investors retail access to venture capital.
As AVG moves forward, we are looking to continue to grow and create value – with the goal of bringing venture investing to broader audiences (individuals, investment advisors, small institutional investors). To that end, we're seeking an experienced, full-time Sr. Director of Sales Operations who will drive the success of our inside sales processes and Senior Partner team. The Sr. Director will draw on a background in sales, marketing, project management, team management, b2c sales, and a “builder” mentality to ensure the success of each Senior Partner according to the Alumni Ventures Playbook and related systems and processes. Additionally, the Sr. Director will contribute to the further development of AVG’s fundraising systems and processes.
This individual will report to AV’s EVP of Community and will manage the company’s team of Senior Partners, whose day-to-day work focuses on the one-to-one relationships with engaged prospects and is measured primarily by call-commitment rates. The Sr. Director of Sales Operations is responsible for supporting and developing the Senior Partners, ensuring their time is leveraged for its greatest purpose - converting our most engaged prospects into customers. The Sr. Director of Sales Operations will be responsible for training and accountability of Senior Partners related to call-taking, data entry and adherence to internal policies and standard operating procedures.
- Meeting the organization’s goals for overall and fund-specific call-commitment rates
- Supervision, management and development of a team of Senior Partners (6 currently, soon to be 8)
- Develop and monitor reporting systems for monitoring KPIs such as Senior Partner commitment rates, call volume, call quality and call follow-up activities
- Hold SPs accountable in hitting their goals through a service-oriented leadership approach
- Lead HQ’s collaboration with the Investment Teams and Senior Partners on the development and implementation of portfolio and fund collateral (i.e., setting Marketing Calendar, selecting deal-stories, maintaining fund “cheat-sheets”, organizing feedback on sales decks and one-pagers, developing webinar content, etc)
- Create opportunities for ongoing training for the SPs, especially peer to peer.
- Listen to SP challenges, both individuals an the entire team, distill those into actionable suggestions to the EVP for how to improve the team’s production
- Instill a culture of teamwork and support, reflecting all of AV’s north stars and leadership principles
- Under the general direction of the EVP of Community, collaborate closely with other AV departments to implement AV’s fundraising playbook
- Build an exceptional and positive working relationship with the the sales teams: Senior Partners, Managing Partners and Investor Relations Managers
- Develop your team of Senior Partners to reflect the culture of AVG and enthusiastically pursue engagement with prospects and investors that will lead to success in our fundraising efforts
- Ensure that Senior Partners are well supported in their fundraising pitch and working in unison with the AV fundraising team.
- Regularly review and analyze the data relative to call commitment rates and overall fundraising process to improve the support for and success of the fundraise.
- Identify and implement improved reporting mechanisms throughout the fundraising engine
- Be a leader on the sales team and subject matter expert for the entire AVG fundraising playbook
- Manage a variety of marketing and fundraising projects, programs, and initiatives to increase commitment rates
- Lead the onboarding for new Senior Partners
- Help build and drive the company’s fundraising processes and systems
- Shape and share out key marketing themes and messages
- Help assess the launch of new funds/products and advise on how to maximize return
- Contribute positively to AVG’s culture and team, role modeling AVG values and working consistently toward North Stars
- The ideal candidate will satisfy all of the requirements below, and serious applicants will satisfy most requirements and have professional exposure to all below.
- Experience in B2C sales and/or marketing to high net worth individuals
- 10+ years professional experience, including relatable sales management experience
- MBA or equivalent professional experience
- Experience hiring, training, managing and building a team including experience evaluating talent and ability and, when necessary, making difficult personnel decisions
- Experience and comfort level with engaging a sophisticated and intelligent audience
- Expert-level in HubSpot’s CRM or similar marketing tools
- Excellent work ethic and professional demeanor
- Active listener, problem solver, ability to build consensus but capable of bias for action and making decisions quickly when needed
- Experience building, evaluating and improving processes and capabilities
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks and processes
- Strong relationship builder and communicator
- Sufficient working knowledge of the venture capital asset class and industry
- Strong interest in entrepreneurship and venture capital
- Extremely strong intellect, with a passion for learning and growing
- Expertise with a variety of marketing approaches, frameworks, tools, and philosophies
- Can communicate big-picture objectives while consistently executing on a high number of initiatives to drive projects and processes forward
- Ability to manage up to a CXO, and across a smart, sophisticated employee base while providing strong leadership to a team of Client Managers
- Enjoys and embraces change and continuous improvement
Alumni Ventures is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AV is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Investors and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.