Senior Data Engineer (US Remote)
Data & Engineering /
Who we are:
We believe that small businesses are stronger together and we’re looking for people who are passionate about our mission.
Alignable is a remote-first, mission-driven Series C (and profitable) growth stage startup on a mission to bring together small business owners from across the globe to help them gain competitive advantage so they can succeed in their business.
Small businesses give our communities character -- generating local jobs and supporting local causes. They are the creators, the risk takers and the problem solvers. Each with a unique story.
For business owners who depend on referrals for success, Alignable is the online community helping them initiate and build trusted relationships leading to quality referrals. Owners depend on quality referrals for all aspects of their business, and whether they’re looking for new customers, suppliers, or services needed to run their business – they’re finding them all here on our platform. Our highly engaged and supportive peer network plays a critical role in helping these businesses (our Members) succeed, especially within an ever-changing economic environment.
Alignable is North America's largest small business network with over 7 million businesses in 30,000+ communities. If you want to empower the small business owner through a networking platform unlike any other, let’s talk.
What you will be doing:
As a Senior Data Engineer, this is a unique opportunity to combine your expertise in data analysis and engineering to drive key business decisions and support the growth of our platform. In this role, you will be responsible for working with our large and complex data sets to identify trends, patterns, and insights that can help inform and improve our product, marketing, and sales strategies. You will use your strong analytical skills to develop and implement data-driven models and algorithms, and your expertise in data engineering to design, build, and maintain scalable data pipelines and infrastructure.
As a technical leader in our growing team, you will have the opportunity to impact the future of not just your team, but also the company and our entire member base. You will work closely with product management, design, growth marketing, and business partners to set and then accomplish an evolving set of strategic goals.
This position can be based anywhere in the U.S. To be eligible for this position, you must live in the U.S. and have authorization to work in the U.S.
About our tech stack:
- Languages & Databases: Ruby/Rails 2.7.6 with Postgres, Elixir/Phoenix, Redis, Elasticsearch, Memcached w/ React & Typescript on the frontend
- Testing: Rspec and Enzyme with continuous integration via CircleCI
- Deployment: AWS Alphabet soup
- Analytics Pipeline: Kinesis, Python, Pandas, Redshift
- Machine Learning: Pytorch, Tensorflow
What success looks like:
- Partner with Product/Marketing to identify and answer the top 10 business questions that are currently outstanding.
- Update the business metrics dashboard with the current metrics most important to the business.
- Identify and implement top 5 thresh-hold alerts that will tell the business if any of our core metrics have dropped significantly enough to warrant action (growth, revenue, etc).
- Ensure that the data in our reporting systems are accurate and complete and tie out to each other and production.
- Own the data and reporting platform. Organize, document, and act as a SME for business and engineering partners. Drive data best practices across the organization.
What you will bring:
- You have a strong background in both data analysis and engineering (minimum 3 years), with a proven track record of working with large and complex data sets.
- You are highly proficient in SQL, Pandas, and other data analysis and engineering tools. Familiarity with Amplitude, Looker, and other reporting systems is a plus. Familiarity with SEO tools (Google Analytics, SEM Rush) and large data cluster tools (Hadoop) is a plus.
- You have experience coaching the team on data best practices by helping with advanced data sleuthing techniques and transferring knowledge to others.
- You have the ability to quickly write ad hoc queries to support business needs on product work.
- You have applied statistics that are used to analyze split tests and other cohort analysis.
- You have advanced knowledge of data infrastructure pipeline and reporting systems.
- You have knowledge of improving the performance of applications through query optimization.
- You have excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- You are a highly motivated and collaborative team player who is passionate about using data to drive business growth and improve the customer experience.
- You are a self-starter who is excited about working in a dynamic startup environment.
- Advocacy & Encouragement: They make our online communities great, but they also make Alignable a great place to work. Our culture is dynamic, supportive and offers tremendous opportunities to grow your career together with the business. We offer autonomy, ownership, mentoring and flexibility. Every one of our employees and co-ops can directly point to how they've made a major impact on the business.
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion: At Alignable, we celebrate the diversity of the small business community - and in our team. We value the unique perspective you’ll bring to strengthen our mission of helping small businesses thrive and are committed to maintaining an inclusive and respectful culture that fosters creativity and innovation from everyone.
- A remote-first organization, Alignable launched in 2014 and is venture-backed by Mayfield fund, Recruit Strategic Partners, Saturn Partners, NextView Ventures, Lead Edge Capital, and KIC ventures. Our leadership team also consists of startup veterans from Invisalign, Constant Contact, Vistaprint, and Audible.
What we offer:
- Smart, supportive co-workers
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited vacations + each employee is required to take 2 weeks off back-to-back at some point each year
- Virtual working environment
- Flexible working hours
- Paid Parental leave
- Professional Development Program
Alignable is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants from every background and life experience without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.