Lead Software Engineer (US Remote)
Boston, MA /
Who we are:
We believe that small businesses are stronger together and we’re looking for people who are passionate about our mission.
Alignable is a remote-first, mission-driven Series C (and profitable) growth stage startup on a mission to bring together small business owners from across the globe to help them gain competitive advantage so they can succeed in their business.
Small businesses give our communities character -- generating local jobs and supporting local causes. They are the creators, the risk takers and the problem solvers. Each with a unique story.
For business owners who depend on referrals for success, Alignable is the online community helping them initiate and build trusted relationships leading to quality referrals. Owners depend on quality referrals for all aspects of their business, and whether they’re looking for new customers, suppliers, or services needed to run their business – they’re finding them all here on our platform. Our highly engaged and supportive peer network plays a critical role in helping these businesses (our Members) succeed, especially within an ever-changing economic environment.
Alignable is North America's largest small business network with over 7 million businesses in 30,000+ communities. If you want to empower the small business owner through a networking platform unlike any other, let’s talk.
What you will be doing:
We're looking for a Lead Software Engineer who is passionate about building delightful user experiences and using technical expertise to lead a high-performing team that will play a critical role in helping small businesses be successful. As a technical leader in our growing team, you will have the opportunity to impact the future of not just your team, but also the company and our entire member base.
Alignable’s Engineering department supports all Product teams, building velocity and quality into our core products. The department is fast-paced and highly collaborative and is divided into 3 main product pillars/squads: Networking, Groups, and Revenue. You will lead, manage, and continue to grow one of these squads depending on interest and fit
Being a Lead Software Engineer requires combining a highly collaborative mindset with a relentless pursuit of shipping software. You will work closely with product management, design, growth marketing, and business partners to set and then accomplish an evolving set of strategic goals.
This position can be based anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. To be eligible for this position, you must live in the U.S. or Canada and have authorization to work in the U.S. or Canada without a visa.
About our tech stack:
- Languages & Databases: Ruby 2.6 and Rails 6 with Postgres, Elixir/Phoenix, Redis, Memcached w/ React & Typescript on the frontend
- Testing: Rspec and Enzyme with continuous integration via CircleCI
- Deployment: AWS Alphabet soup
- Analytics Pipeline: Kinesis, Python, Pandas, Redshift
- Machine Learning: Pytorch, Tensorflow
What success looks like:
- You will partner with product and design to drive the technical and business outcome of the work your team will be doing.
- You will demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, design specifications and architecture diagrams for high performing applications
- You will break up the work in ways that everyone on the team can be productive and work efficiently
- You will perform code reviews and level up the code delivered by the team via mentoring and coaching
- You will develop proficiency in our technology to enable coding more algorithmically/architecturally challenging features.
What you will bring:
- You will have 5-7+ years of experience as a software developer in OOP.
- You will have at least 2+ years of mentorship experience
- You will have experience working very closely with Product teams; experience driving Product requirements independently is a plus.
- You are deeply obsessed with doing what is right for customers.
- You have proficient oral and written communication, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- You have demonstrated the ability to deal with ambiguity and work in a dynamic environment.
- You have the ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse, talented team.
- You have experience in Agile/Scrum enterprise-scale software development.
- You have experience building and operating scalable software.
- You have demonstrated the ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
- You have experience designing, developing, and deploying enterprise solutions using Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Advocacy & Encouragement: They make our online communities great, but they also make Alignable a great place to work. Our culture is dynamic, supportive and offers tremendous opportunities to grow your career together with the business. We offer autonomy, ownership, mentoring and flexibility. Every one of our employees and co-ops can directly point to how they've made a major impact on the business.
- Equity, Diversity & Inclusion: At Alignable, we celebrate the diversity of the small business community - and in our team. We value the unique perspective you’ll bring to strengthen our mission of helping small businesses thrive and are committed to maintaining an inclusive and respectful culture that fosters creativity and innovation from everyone.
- A remote-first organization, Alignable launched in 2014 and is venture-backed by Mayfield fund, Recruit Strategic Partners, Saturn Partners, NextView Ventures, Lead Edge Capital, and KIC ventures. Our leadership team also consists of startup veterans from Invisalign, Constant Contact, Vistaprint, and Audible.
What We Offer:
- Smart, supportive co-workers
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited vacations + each employee is required to take 2 weeks off back-to-back at some point each year
- Virtual working environment
- Flexible working hours
- Paid Parental leave
- Professional Development Program
Alignable is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants from every background and life experience without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.