Product Strategy and Operations
San Francisco, CA /
Business Operations /
As a member of our Product Strategy and Operations team at Anthropic, you’ll own strategic initiatives that have a direct impact on the development and commercialization of our products. You will collaborate closely with our product management, engineering, and go-to-market teams to help solve our most complex and ambiguous business challenges. You’ll take ownership roles across a range of business-critical efforts, bringing creative, data-driven, and market-informed value from concept to execution. This role is a great fit for someone who’s both seen excellence at scale and operated in rapidly scaling, high ambiguity teams and scope. You can seamlessly pivot back and forth high-level strategy to the nitty-gritty blocking and tackling of building, architecting systems and processes that enable our product teams to operate at peak efficiency.
Anthropic is an AI safety and research company that’s working to build reliable, interpretable, and steerable AI systems. We want AI to be safe and beneficial for our customers and for society as a whole. Our interdisciplinary team has experience across ML, physics, policy, business and product.
- Flex into and own a wide range of initiatives across teams and domains (product, go-to-market, strategy, and operations), doing whatever it takes to maximize and accelerate our impact
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to focus relentlessly on delivering value and impact, orienting our efforts toward creating remarkable products and experiences for our users that advance Anthropic's mission
- Help drive commercial success through creative market insights, strategic product planning, and effective cross-functional collaboration
- Tackle ambiguous but critical strategic questions with structured reasoning, rigorous attention to detail, sound judgment, and clear delivery of actionable insights
- Gather and synthesize quantitative and qualitative data into clear, actionable recommendations that inform priorities and decision-making
- Set up, own, and build for scale new systems and processes for new launches, new teams, and the company more broadly as we grow
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have 5+ years of experience in product management, business operations, strategy, or related roles in high-performing product companies
- Approach every challenge with a user-focused mindset, intellectual curiosity, and unwavering commitment to Anthropic's mission of developing safe and beneficial AI
- Possess strong analytical skills, and a data-driven, commercially minded approach to developing product strategies and solving problems
- Have the ability to navigate and execute amidst ambiguity, and to flex into different domains based on the business problem at hand
- Possess strong project management and organizational skills to lead complex initiatives
- Have experience using data to conduct market research, competitive analysis, and synthesize product insights. Proficiency in SQL is a plus
- Ability to convey complicated, technical, ambiguous topics in simple, jargon-less, persuasive, structured terms for direct teammates, cross-functional stakeholders, and leadership
- Have a deep proven and thoughtful interest in AI systems – directly AI/ML experience is highly valued, but not required
- The expected salary range for this position is $200k - $330k.
Location-based hybrid policy: Currently, we expect all staff to be in our office at least 25% of the time.
Deadline to apply: None. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
US visa sponsorship: We do sponsor visas! However, we aren't able to successfully sponsor visas for every role and every candidate; operations roles are especially difficult to support. But if we make you an offer, we will make every effort to get you into the United States, and we retain an immigration lawyer to help with this.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification. Not all strong candidates will meet every single qualification as listed. Research shows that people who identify as being from underrepresented groups are more prone to experiencing imposter syndrome and doubting the strength of their candidacy, so we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to submit an application if you're interested in this work. We think AI systems like the ones we're building have enormous social and ethical implications. We think this makes representation even more important, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team.
Compensation and Benefits*
Anthropic’s compensation package consists of three elements: salary, equity, and benefits. We are committed to pay fairness and aim for these three elements collectively to be highly competitive with market rates.
Equity - On top of this position's salary (listed above), equity will be a major component of the total compensation. We aim to offer higher-than-average equity compensation for a company of our size, and communicate equity amounts at the time of offer issuance.
Benefits - Benefits we offer include:
- Optional equity donation matching at a 3:1 ratio, up to 50% of your equity grant.
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for you and all your dependents.
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching.
- 21 weeks of paid parental leave.
- Unlimited PTO – most staff take between 4-6 weeks each year, sometimes more!
- Stipends for education, home office improvements, commuting, and wellness.
- Fertility benefits via Carrot.
- Daily lunches and snacks in our office.
- Relocation support for those moving to the Bay Area.
* This compensation and benefits information is based on Anthropic’s good faith estimate for this position, in San Francisco, CA, as of the date of publication and may be modified in the future. The level of pay within the range will depend on a variety of job-related factors, including where you place on our internal performance ladders, which is based on factors including past work experience, relevant education, and performance on our interviews or in a work trial.
How we're different
We believe that the highest-impact AI research will be big science. At Anthropic we work as a single cohesive team on just a few large-scale research efforts. And we value impact — advancing our long-term goals of steerable, trustworthy AI — rather than work on smaller and more specific puzzles. We view AI research as an empirical science, which has as much in common with physics and biology as with traditional efforts in computer science. We're an extremely collaborative group, and we host frequent research discussions to ensure that we are pursuing the highest-impact work at any given time. As such, we greatly value communication skills. We're trying to build a core of knowledge and intuition about the most robustly effective innovations in AI, and so thoroughly-documented null results are almost as valuable as positive discoveries. We do not have boundaries between engineering and research, and we expect all of our technical staff to contribute to both as needed.
The easiest way to understand our research directions is to read our recent research. This research continues many of the directions our team worked on prior to Anthropic, including: GPT-3, Circuit-Based Interpretability, Multimodal Neurons, Scaling Laws, AI & Compute, Concrete Problems in AI Safety, and Learning from Human Preferences.
Come work with us!
Anthropic is a public benefit corporation based in San Francisco. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, optional equity donation matching, generous vacation and parental leave, flexible working hours, and a lovely office space in which to collaborate with colleagues.