Engineering Manager, Web Backend
en – Engineering /
| Global Market for QA
Markets are changing rapidly, and there is a demand for quick software releases. Agile development has become mainstream; on a global scale, 92% of developer teams adopt agile development, 71% of which aim to release at least once a week. With such a rapid cycle, manual verification is too time-consuming, and there is an urgent need for automation. Our services can solve these critical challenges and make our clients a competitive advantage in software development. QA’s global budget is said to reach over $1 trillion. We are rapidly expanding our service reach internationally to win this vast global market.
| About Us
Autify, Inc. is a start-up company founded in San Francisco by a team of engineers who were the first Japanese team to graduate from the top US accelerator, Alchemist Accelerator. With the mission to increase creativity with the power of tech, we develop and provide Autify, an AI-powered software testing automation platform.
In October 2019, we officially released Autify for Web, our test automation software that targets web applications. Also, in October 2021, Autify for Mobile for mobile app testing was officially launched and we have closed our $10M Series A. Although the product lineup is continuing to expand and we have been able to provide all basic functions needed in a test automation platform, we continue to receive requests for new features and improvements.
| About This Role
We have three backend engineers in the engineering team (for web), and we expect to have more along with the growth of the customer base. We are opening this new position because of the recent organizational restructuring and we decided to hire a dedicated engineering manager who oversees the web backend team.
- Empower the engineers and maximize the team's productivity by setting goals, performing evaluations, and utilizing data to improve operational workflow.
- Identify and improve foundational issues and create a roadmap of improvement.
- Manage resources, onboard new members, and improve the hiring process for your team.
- Work with other teams and respond rapidly to varied initiatives.
- Build strong relationships and facilitate communication in your team.
- Support and motivate members in their career development through regular 1-on-1 sessions.
- Being able to work in Japanese standard time
- Minimum 3 years of the engineering manager experience
- Over 5 years of experience in developing the backend of web applications
- English-native or has an equivalent skill
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Understanding of running SaaS
- Understanding of test automation
- Japanese proficiency
- 9.6 million JPY - 16 million JPY
- Reviewed twice a year
- 0.05% - 0.2%
1. 1st Technical interview: 60min
2. 2nd Technical interview: 60min
3. HR interview: 60min
4. Final interview: 60min
Note: You will be asked to provide references after the final interview.
| About the Engineering Team
Autify's engineering team is an international team, with more than half of the engineers being foreign nationals and all developers being English speakers. We have a good culture where members respect each other's backgrounds.
Since we have two products, Autify for Web and Autify for Mobile, our development engineers are divided into two teams corresponding to each product. We have over 15 front-end and back-end engineers who work closely with product managers, QA managers, designers, technical support engineers, and machine learning engineers who are responsible for resolving technical inquiries from customers. The product manager is in charge of the general roadmap. The product manager develops a rough roadmap and works with the engineers and designers on the details of each feature and bug fix before implementation. Depending on the size of the feature, we appoint a feature lead from among the engineers to be in charge of the project and give them the discretion to make technical decisions.
Our Development Process
We create a ticket in advance about what kind of function we will develop. In some cases, the product owner creates it based on user feedback, and in other cases, each team creates bugs and investigation requests directly.
The development cycle consists of one Sprint, which takes two weeks. Development tasks are assigned during the planning stage on the first day of the Sprint, and we hold a daily standup meeting to check the overall progress and any problems. (Due to the time difference, it is done at lunchtime).
We review code on GitHub. After the review, the merged branches are automatically deployed to the staging environment, and E2E tests are performed (which Autify does itself).
After testing on the integrated branch, it's deployed to the production environment. Deployment is done several times a week as needed. The developed function will be demonstrated by the developer themselves to all employees at each Sprint.
- Tech is selected at each staff's discretion
- We actively adopt new tech
- We actively work on technical debt
- There is technical skill improvement support (learning support allowance)
- PC with the staff's desired specs, external monitors, etc. can be rented from the company
- Backend: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Go
- Machine learning: Python, PyTorch, Kubernetes
- Database: PostgreSQL, Redis
- Test: Jest, Selenium, WebdriverIO, Puppeteer
- Infrastructure: AWS, Docker, Terraform, Packer, MacStadium
- Monitoring: New Relic, Sentry, Papertrail, Datadog
- CI/CD: CircleCI, GitHub Actions
- Source code management: GitHub
- Project management: ClickUp
- Misc.: G Suite, Slack, Notion, Gather, Zoom, Miro, 1Password, Mixmax, Calendly, etc.
| Employment Conditions
- Regular employees
- Probation period: 3 months after joining the company (conditions are the same as permanent employment)
- This is a remote work position.
- Full flextime system (no core time or flexible time)
- Twice a year
- Complete five-day workweek system (holidays, year-end and New Year holidays, etc.)
- Paid leave, sick leave, condolence leave, childcare leave, nursing leave (all paid)
- Equipped with various social insurance
- Regular health checkup
- Stock option system
- Laptop PC will be rented when joining the company
- Partial payment of remote work equipment costs
- English learning/skill improvement program support
- Visa support