Head of Trade Surveillance
New York, United States /
Risk – Risk /
Launched in 2019, Binance.US is the fastest growing and most integrated digital asset marketplace in the United States, powered by matching engine and wallet technologies license from the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange - Binance. Our mission is to provide liquidity, transparency, and efficiency to financial markets by creating products that leverage crypto to unlock the power of everything. We build bridges between traditional finance and digital markets that enable growth for all—empowering the future of finance. Binance.US is operated by BAM Trading Services.
We are undergoing rapid scale and innovation in our Trade Surveillance team and seeking an experienced Head of Trade Surveillance. As the Head of the Trade Surveillance you will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing a risk-based electronic trade surveillance monitoring program, covering monitoring of relevant regulatory and exchange requirements, detection of trade anomalies and implementation of market health measures, with a solid grasp of FINRA regulatory requirements, as well as an understanding and prior experience with various financial products such as Cryptocurrency, Equities, Equity Derivatives, FX, Fixed Income and Forex. The role has high visibility to the Chief Legal Officer, Chief Risk Officer, and other members of executive management.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in building and maintaining trade surveillance programs within the banking and financial services industry. In addition, you will have extensive experience in implementing, using and tuning industry leading surveillance applications, including Eventus Validus, Nasdaq Market Surveillance (SMARTS) or similar tools, for surveillance within the crypto, banking or financial services industry.
We are looking for someone passionate about the crypto-currency revolution and aspires to help us achieve our mission through advancing Binance.US’s Trade Surveillance program.
Who You Are
We value diverse individuals who can bring new perspectives to our company with the ability to problem solve both head-on and hands-on creatively. You are passionate about your work and an enthusiastic team player, motivated to succeed together as a team and company. Strive to be reliable, transparent, and independent with a startup mentality. Must be able to own your work, learn from your colleagues and thrive playing many roles in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
What You’ll Own
The Head of Trade Surveillance will leverage natural analytical and problem-solving skills and manage a team conducting real-time and post-trade market surveillance, addressing alerts, identifying trends or anomalies within complex transactions as well as partner with teams across Binance.US to drive the effort to monitor transaction activity across Binance.US’s platform.
As a leader in market surveillance, you will create and implement policies, procedures, risk assessments, and other foundations needed for an effective trade surveillance program. You will keep informed of regulatory and market structure changes that may affect our surveillance program’s scope as well as work cross-functionally with multiple departments, with an emphasis on working with the financial crimes team.
The ideal candidate possesses exceptional analytical and communication skills needed for dealing with market participants regarding the activity under review. Maintains thorough records and supporting documentation for all audit trail reviews and investigations. Must enjoy exploring datasets, ambiguous problem solving, and have strong self-motivation skills.
- 10+ years of prior experience leading trade/market surveillance programs at a derivatives exchange, FCM, or broker-dealer.
- Strong working knowledge and experience with Trade Surveillance platforms for alert management and investigation
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of surveillance and product rules, back-office protocols, as well as surveillance and investigative techniques
- Monitor market participation, deliveries, news and economic performance of assigned products and cryptocurrency markets.
- Investigating and clearly communicating issues arising from the electronic trade surveillance monitoring activities, involving advisory compliance officers as required, follow issues through to full resolution with the business lines
- Proficient with analyzing data using a variety of tools/methods, including SQL, business intelligence, and visualization tools (Tableau, Looker, SAP)A resourceful and inquisitive mindset that can analyze structured and unstructured data to identify patterns and develop conclusions
- Ability to develop strategies for the detection of disruptive trading practices and financial threats, such as fraud or money laundering
- Technical mindset to enhance the build-out and fine-tuning of surveillance platform
- Prepare periodic reports that are reviewed by management and teams company wide
- Ensure that surveillance reviews are being performed properly from a qualitative and timeliness perspective
- Identify, facilitate, and implement process improvement ideas to improve efficiency
- Analyze risk across markets using surveillance application to safeguard the firm against reputational and/or financial risk
- Maintaining and monitoring a database of remedial actions/recommendations arising from trade surveillance, to ensure timely and satisfactory resolution of issues identified
- Impeccable communication skills, verbal and written, are necessary for communicating with market participants
- Savvy research skills to stay up-to-date with current regulatory landscape and compliance requirements of the cryptocurrency industry, CFTC core principles, and trade practice functions of crypto exchanges, and analyzing their impact upon the electronic trade surveillance monitoring program
The starting base pay for this role is between $200,000 and $240,000 USD for all U.S. remote locations. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: transferable skillsets, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Binance.US is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our mission is to give Americans access to a broad array of digital assets, and we thrive because of the diverse and inclusive team that we are building. We do not discriminate against qualified employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by local law or ordinance.
Binance.US complies with Federal Transparency in Coverage regulations by providing this link to machine readable files related to the health plans offered to our employees. The machine-readable files are formatted to allow researchers, regulators, and application developers to more easily access and analyze data including negotiated service rates, and out-of-network allowed amounts between health plans and healthcare providers.