Entertainment Editor, Elite Daily
New York, NY /
Editorial – Elite Daily /
Elite Daily is seeking an Entertainment Editor to shape its TV, movies, celebrity, and music coverage. The Entertainment Editor will work closely with full-time writers to assign and edit creative, strategic, and inclusive daily stories in addition to longer-lead interviews and features about the celebs, artists, and influencers shaping Gen Z culture. The Editor should be particularly eager to conceptualize bold, unique, and ambitious story ideas that create buzz and generate traffic. This position will report directly to the Senior Entertainment Editor. Applicants in this role should be comfortable appearing on camera for Editorial Social and Editorial Video, as needed.
The ideal candidate has Extremely Online, creative ideas and is especially passionate about scouring the internet to identify talent. They should display an ability to package buzzy topics into clean, authoritative stories and headlines. The Entertainment Editor will also play a role in meeting the Entertainment team’s freelance goals when applicable, from assessing pitches to assigning and publishing pieces. This editor should have experience conducting exclusive interviews with top-tier talent and maintaining industry contacts.
This is a hybrid role, based in New York.
- Assign, edit, update, and occasionally write timely stories and evergreen content, with a particular eye for on-brand story selection, headlines, and angles
- Manage a team of full-time writers, which includes setting professional goals, scheduling check-ins, and providing regular performance feedback
- Identify and tailor coverage of new shows and movies for Elite Daily’s Gen Z audience, anticipating viral moments and fan theories while reviewing screeners
- Work collaboratively with the Dating team to identify overlapping trending topics in the celebrity dating space, sharing intel and communicating coverage plans
- Manage and facilitate coverage of live and breaking events, as needed, from album releases to the Super Bowl Halftime show
- Use analytics and trends to identify new angles and strategy adjustments for stories
- Help execute on vertical-defining series and franchises
- Work closely with the Senior Entertainment Editor to edit features and celebrity/influencer interviews
- Attend entertainment industry events such as concerts and live shows, TV/movies press junkets, music festivals, and red carpets in the New York City region
- 3-5 years experience assigning, writing, and editing news and/or feature stories
- The ability to generate, assign, and edit an array of entertainment topics quickly and efficiently
- Familiarity with SEO best practices, plus experience analyzing content using Google Analytics, Parse.ly, and other analytics tools
- An established network of contacts in the entertainment space, from streamers to record labels
- A passion for celebrities and influencers, the entertainment industry, and TikTok
- Ability to give and receive feedback
- Sound editorial judgment
- An understanding of what makes an Elite Daily story
- Salary range: $63,500 - $70000
BDG is one of today’s leading global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture through its authentic and trusted storytelling. Audiences turn to our brands – Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the interests engaging the next generation. Founded in 2013, the Company reaches over 223 million readers and social fans and serves hundreds of the world's largest advertisers. BDG has global offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, London, and Paris.