Associate Editor, Entertainment (Inverse)
New York, NY /
Editorial – Inverse /
Inverse takes its audience deeper inside the worlds we love, charting the most exciting storylines across entertainment, gaming, gear, innovation, mind + body, and beyond.
Inverse has an immediate opening for an Associate Editor in our Entertainment vertical. This role will be primarily responsible for editing articles about TV and movies, with a focus on Inverse’s first loves — sci-fi, superheroes, and genre entertainment — while also helping to expand the publication’s cultural radar beyond those spaces. The role works with a team of staff and freelance writers to deliver a mix of coverage from news to interviews to ambitious reporting and storytelling.
The right candidate understands the importance of story packaging for success on Google, Twitter, Apple News, Flipboard, and beyond while also ensuring that Inverse’s voice, angles, and ideas feels lively and cut through the noise.
If this seems like a strong fit, please include in your application 3-5 links to stories or packages you’ve edited or written that show your ability to ace this role.
- Manage staff writers and a roster of freelancers
- Work with writers to develop pitches and craft stories to help their work soar
- Coach writers on reporting and interviewing skills
- Spot and pitch story ideas on a daily basis
- Occasionally work off-hours on time-sensitive stories (e.g., awards shows)
- Manage editorial calendars and help plan both short- and long-lead coverage
- Ensure Inverse editorial best practices
- Work with the section editor to package stories for search and social
- Write at least three stories per week and edit at least five stories per day
- 3-4 years of editing and writing experience
- A robust record of clips that show your successful reporting or writing
- Familiarity with SEO and social media best practices
- A record of lifting new and diverse voices to a bigger audience
- The ability to meet weekly with writers and attend a daily pitch meeting
- A genuine passion for the franchises that Inverse covers on a daily basis
$60,000 - $70,000 a year
BDG is one of today’s leading global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture through its authentic and trusted storytelling. Audiences turn to our brands – Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the interests engaging the next generation. Founded in 2013, the Company reaches over 223 million readers and social fans and serves hundreds of the world's largest advertisers. BDG has global offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, London, and Paris.