Celebrity Editor, Elite Daily
New York, NY /
Editorial – Elite Daily /
Elite Daily is seeking a Celebrity Editor to shape and lead its celebrity and music coverage. The Celebrity Editor will work closely with a team of part-time writers to assign and edit creative, strategic, and inclusive daily news stories in addition to longer-lead short- and long-form features. The Celebrity Editor will run live events and award show coverage as is necessary and should be particularly eager to conceptualize evergreen story ideas that haven’t been previously explored on our site. This position will report directly to the Senior Entertainment Editor.
Areas of coverage include but are not limited to pregnancy and birth announcements, new music releases, viral influencers, K-pop, the British royal family, trends on TikTok, and, at times, celebrity relationships. Interested candidates should be comfortable working in breaking entertainment news situations and display an ability to package buzzy topics into clean, authoritative stories and headlines. The Celebrity Editor will also play a role in meeting the Entertainment team’s freelance goals when applicable, from assessing pitches to assigning and publishing pieces. The Celebrity Editor should also have experience turning celebrity interviews into tightly edited feature stories that are polished and engaging, and that reflect a diverse range of perspectives.
We’re looking for someone with bold, creative ideas who’s especially passionate about scouring every corner of the internet to identify who the next big star will be.
- Oversee and cultivate a team of part-time writers passionate about celebrity, influencer, and music news
- Assign, edit, update, and occasionally write daily news stories and evergreen content, with a particular eye for on-brand story selection, headlines, and angles
- Work collaboratively with the Dating team to identify trends in the celebrity dating space, sharing intel, and communicating coverage plans
- Lean on the Senior Entertainment Editor to set and meet short- and long-term goals for celebrity and music coverage
- Manage and facilitate coverage of live and breaking events, from album releases to the VMAs
- Use analytics and trends to identify new angles and strategy adjustments for stories
- Help create and execute on vertical-defining series and franchises
- Work closely with the Senior Entertainment Editor to edit features and celebrity interviews
- 2+ years experience assigning, writing, and editing news and/or feature stories
- Experience working with part-time writers and freelancers
- The ability to generate, assign, and edit an array of celebrity and music topics quickly and efficiently
- Familiarity with the Elite Daily voice and SEO best practices, plus experience analyzing content using Google Analytics, Parse.ly, and other analytics tools
- Proficiency in writing in AP Style
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 161 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, Input, Gawker, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.