New York, NY
Operations – Legal /
BDG is looking for a Senior Counsel to join its legal team!
This key strategic role will report to the EVP, Legal Affairs & General Counsel, and will provide legal support, counsel, and representation through researching and advising on various legal issues and the negotiation, drafting, and management of agreements for a broad range of topics and transactions.
The ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated, business-minded attorney who can manage multiple projects and competing priorities comfortably, and brings extraordinary judgment and interpersonal skills to the role.
- Serve as primary legal support for all commercial matters.
- Review, draft and negotiate various commercial agreements, including vendor agreements, master services agreements/statements of work, and ad contracts (insertion orders, custom content addendums and other ancillary ad documentation).
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating talent agreements, licensing deals, and influencer contracts.
- Supporting production and content matters, including evaluating rights issues, advising on clearance matters, and reviewing marketing, promotion and publicity content.
- Assisting with pre-litigation dispute resolution and trademark matters.
- Working closely with internal stakeholders to update guidance and policies and drive contract simplification efforts.
- Law degree and member of a state bar in good standing.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Some law firm experience.
- Strong drafting skills.
- Ability to be in the New York office 1-2 times/week.
- Experience with digital publishing, digital advertising, content production, and licensing.
- Understanding of privacy laws, regulations, and industry guidelines.
- Ability to translate complex legal issues to business partners and offer pragmatic guidance.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and prioritize and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication and organizational skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, negotiating skills, and strong legal drafting abilities.
- Curiosity about all aspects of BDG’s business and a willingness to learn and contribute to an interdisciplinary team.
- Experience using and updating contract management tools such as Ironclad.
- Team player and consensus builder who can effectively collaborate and build relationships with attorneys and business leaders throughout the organization.
- Reliable, sound judgment and integrity.
$180,000 - $185,000 a year
BDG is one of today’s leading global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture through its authentic and trusted storytelling. Audiences turn to our brands – Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the interests engaging the next generation. Founded in 2013, the Company reaches over 223 million readers and social fans and serves hundreds of the world's largest advertisers. BDG has global offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, London, and Paris.