Associate Commerce Editor
Business & Operations – Commerce /
BDG is seeking a remote Associate Commerce Editor to join our growing Commerce and Affiliate Marketing team. The team consists of editors and business strategists who create the affiliate content for BDG Media sites, including but not limited to Bustle, Inverse, Elite Daily, Mic, and Romper. This position will work on content spanning all shopping categories (homewares, health and wellness, consumer technology, fashion, beauty, kids and parenting, and so forth).
These articles, and the Commerce team broadly, operate separately from each site’s editorial team, and Commerce articles are written to generate revenue from sales of products featured in the articles. The Commerce team covers the full range of product categories, including home, health, tech, beauty, etc.
The Associate Commerce Editor’s day-to-day will include editing the Commerce team’s articles to ensure they uphold editorial standards and successfully generate revenue through product sales; researching products and product categories in order to create compelling and informative content; analyzing traffic and performance data to form recommendations for continuous improvement of commerce content; updating/optimizing legacy content to improve SEO and conversion rates.
This role is ideal for anyone who is a detail-oriented editor, persuasive writer, and avidly researches products before purchasing them. This role is especially a great fit for those with a copyediting, fact-checking, or e-commerce background. Since this role is remote, candidates should be comfortable working and meeting deadlines in a self-starting environment.
The ideal candidate will have a mix of editorial and analytical skills. Candidates should understand how to tailor content to different audiences and platforms, as well as be comfortable looking at and interpreting data to understand shopping trends. Ideal candidates should have a background in writing and editing, although we are open to candidates with other types of backgrounds (editing may not have been a central role, but was an important element of job function).
Examples of Content:
- Edit incoming stories from commerce writers for grammar, voice, product choice, formatting, and SEO strength
- Research products across several categories to include in articles, from beauty to tech to lifestyle and beyond
- Update and optimize legacy content to improve SEO and conversion rates according to guidance provided by the strategy team
- Use analytics tools and data provided by business strategy teammates to monitor content performance and form recommendations to improve the content
- 1-2 years of experience in e-commerce or editorial — strong preference for background in affiliate content
- Strong writing/editing skills, attention to detail
- Some experience managing writers
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Social media background — understanding of what resonates with various audiences
- Comfortable using spreadsheets
- Background in Google Analytics, ability to interpret data
- Experience using affiliate platforms such as Skimlinks, Amazon Associates, Rakuten, RewardStyle, ShareASale, etc.
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 161 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, Input, Gawker, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.