Product – Engineering /
BDG Media is seeking a Full Stack Software Engineer to join our team of engineers and creators who are building and maintaining a world-class publishing product that empowers writers and journalists to reach an incredibly large audience and to play a role in how that audience interacts with the information presented to them.
You will be working closely with peers to build systems and experiences that are modern, clear, responsive, and beautiful. The ideal candidate is both forward-thinking and hands-on, has a strong sense of ownership and drive for delivery. You will be implementing new features, as well as understanding, working with, and refactoring existing code. At BDG, we pride ourselves on the collaboration between Product, Design, and Engineering and so you will be involved in the entire product lifecycle, from ideation through building, deploying, and continual improvement and evolution.
- Write clean, functional, reusable, and testable "ES Next" code.
- Contribute to our many existing open-source projects, or create your own.
- Experiment with new languages, frameworks, and libraries, and understand why they might be a good fit.
- Help build products that will adapt to industry changes for years to come.
- Work closely with engineering, product, and design partners.
- Build seamless web experiences that are clean, pragmatic, forward-thinking, and performant.
- Ensure that our codebase remains easy to change and is always shippable.
- Participate in shaping the technical architecture of the product.
- Deliver highly available and scalable services in a production environment.
- Generate ideas for new initiatives and technologies.
- Mentor other engineers, support the technical culture and help grow the team.
- 2+ years of software engineering experience developing scalable production software.
- Prior experience with building architectural patterns for large, high-scale web applications.
- Interest in working full stack, from building frontend web applications to building API’s.
- Passion for building products that are beautiful outside and inside – from their user experience to their robust and elegant design.
- Strong knowledge of React and its ecosystem.
- Experience interfacing with API’s, both in-house and 3rd party.
- Eager to improve the areas in which you live and work. (Code, Processes, Communication).
- Have good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with colleagues across various levels of seniority.
- Experience working in a collaborative coding environment (and git specifically), refining designs together, writing tests, working through code reviews and managing pull requests.
- Willingness to grow your leadership skills.
Don’t meet these requirements? We encourage you to apply regardless. All exceptional candidates will be considered.
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 161 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.