Sex & Relationships Writer, Bustle
Editorial – Bustle /
The Sex and Relationships writer will contribute to Bustle’s Lifestyle vertical 3-4 days a week during regular office hours. Reporting to the site’s Deputy Wellness Editor, coverage will include sex, relationships, dating, sexual health, LGBTQ+ issues, and plantonic relationships, as well as how those areas intersect with pop culture and astrology.
Day-to-day responsibilities include pitching and writing search-forward service and trend stories around sex and relationships at a short turnaround. There will also be opportunities to contribute longer-lead articles, including cultural analysis, second-day takes, Q&As, as-told-tos, and reported pieces.
The majority of stories will require the writer to find sources, conduct phone interviews, and cite peer-reviewed studies. A network of industry contacts and go-to experts is a plus.
Applicants should have at least 2+ years of writing experience with a proven ability to consistently brainstorm ideas with unique angles. Candidates must also display a strong, individual voice with an understanding of inclusivity, feminism, and body positivity.
The writer will work remotely and communicate with the Deputy Wellness Editor throughout their shift.
- 2+ years of experience writing for an online publication
- Comfort covering sensitive topics
- Ability to turn in clean, accurate, well-sourced, and authoritative copy in a timely fashion and accept feedback
- A knack for writing with voice and flair
- A sense for what makes a Bustle story
- Pitch concise, thoughtful story ideas
- Write 4-6 stories per week comprising a mix of pitches and assignments
- Track down sources and conduct interviews and follow-ups
- Maintain correspondence with editors throughout shift
- Find appropriate art to accompany stories
- Manage multiple articles at a time, switching between topics when necessary
- Follow Bustle style, writing/reporting/inclusivity guidelines, and SEO best practices
- Cite primary sources wherever possible and incorporate peer-reviewed studies
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 161 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, Input, Gawker, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.