Beauty Editor, Elite Daily
New York, NY /
Editorial – Elite Daily /
Elite Daily is hiring a Beauty Editor to help shape and oversee its beauty coverage. The Beauty Editor will be responsible for assigning, editing, and publishing stories produced by a team of remote, part-time writers, and should have strong copy-editing and content-editing skills. This editor will help define and execute future coverage opportunities within the Style vertical, working alongside Senior Editors and the Executive Editor to do so. Above all, we’re looking for candidates who embrace beauty from an inclusive POV and are eager to reach young audiences who love experimenting with beauty. Creativity, vision, and a deep commitment to experimentation are essential to this role.
The ideal candidate has their finger on the pulse of the latest celebrity-inspired beauty news, new product releases, and makeup trends; in one day, they might edit a news story about a celebrity’s latest beauty collab, an evergreen service feature on how to style neon makeup for work, and a market roundup of the best and buzziest beauty products to buy before they sell out. The Beauty Editor should be as passionate about beauty as Elite Daily’s readership is, and should feel comfortable publishing well-sourced articles containing professional advice on topics that cover the intersections of beauty, identity, and representation. While this role is primarily a Beauty position, there will be the occasional fashion coverage, as it relates to holidays, events, seasonal coverage trends, etc.
This editor should be able to package stories with enticing headlines, dynamic imagery and understand the basics of SEO and be familiar with Elite Daily’s tone and perspective on beauty. They should have excellent communication skills, the desire to work closely with writers, and the ability to work efficiently and independently.
This is a full-time position. Remote applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Assign, edit, and update (and occasionally write) daily news stories and evergreen content, working to improve the structure, factuality, mechanics, clarity, and tone of each piece
- Work collaboratively across teams to identify trends (i.e. viral TikTok skincare hacks, Bridgerton-inspired makeup trends) to determine the best coverage opportunities
- Effectively package posts with enticing, clickable headlines and imagery
- Understand how our readers use and interact with beauty and beauty products, and use that to generate content ideas
- Manage a team of part-time writers, editing their work, developing their skills, and serving as a resource for their needs at BDG
- Cover live and breaking events (award shows, Met Gala, etc.) as needed, including helping out other verticals as needed
- Assist Senior Editors and Executive Editor with beauty product management and with bi-annual beauty sales
- 2+ years editing or writing experience at a digital or print publication
- A passion for (and experience with) delivering great beauty content
- An established network of contacts in the beauty industry
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with other editors
- An understanding of how stories are shared and consumed differently across platforms
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- Experience using analytics to inform editorial decisions
- Portfolio with clips that showcase writing and/or editing skills
- An ability to remain flexible while meeting deadlines and managing multiple assignments/projects
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 161 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, Input, Gawker, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.