Director, Corporate Development
Business & Operations – Corporate Development /
BDG is seeking a key addition to the newly established Corporate Development team. This role will report to the SVP of Corporate Development and help shape how the Corporate Development function will drive value for the company. BDG is an established leader with a rich history of M+A. The Corporate Development team has the exciting task of expanding BDG’s activity within M+A and investing, focusing on driving inorganic growth for years to come.
An ideal candidate can think big and identify attractive targets but also have attention to detail to properly assess, negotiate, execute, and integrate acquisitions. This person should have a strategic mindset, strong verbal and written communication, actionable analytical skills, and real comfort interfacing with senior leaders internally and externally.
- Build pipeline: Identify M+A targets and strategic investments to cultivate, develop, and manage corporate development pipeline
- Assess targets: Qualitatively, understand operations, industry, key leadership, clients, business models, etc. Quantitatively, drive modeling and analyses. Work with senior leadership team to review and develop diligence questions. Lead calls. Develop materials to report back findings including making recommendations on the overall opportunity.
- Execute deals: Participate in negotiations. Lead diligence processes including establishing cross-functional teams, setting up the overall process, reviewing diligence materials, and serving as a key contact to both internal and external constituents.
- Support integration planning: Work closely with internal teams on ensuring successful integration of acquired business including pro forma budget development, org planning, tech migration, and communications
- Standardize processes: Help establish standardized processes, workflows, and documentation for all stages - from managing the assessment of targets to integrating acquired companies into BDG
- Manage key relationships: Manage key external relationships such as investment banks, VC investors, strategics, and key advisors. Build industry contacts to help keep a pulse on potential deal flow
- 6+ years total experience in (1) finance - e.g. investment banking, private equity, or venture investing and (2) direct media exposure - ideally working within a media company but at a minimum, focusing on media/tech in previous roles
- Curious, and does something about it - reads, researches, questions, listens
- Resourceful - solutions-oriented and jumps into action without direction
- Strategic - can help shape the bigger picture and knows how to prioritize initiatives and make decisions accordingly
- Respects the details - understands that properly executing on the details is imperative to achieving the bigger picture
- Informed + measured communicator - able to present ideas, beliefs, and decisions confidently and succinctly
- Strong interpersonal skills + positive attitude - prioritizes building strong, healthy working relationships with co-workers and external partners
- Preference for candidates who can work from New York, Miami, or Atlanta but also open to perma-remote set up with some regular travel for candidates outside those locations
- Preference for finance/business undergraduate degree. MBA not required.
Someone who has the following personality traits:
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 161 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.