Senior Software Engineer, Backend
New York, NY /
Product – Engineering /
BDG Media is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our team of engineers and creators who are building and maintaining a world-class publishing product that empowers writers and journalists to reach an incredibly large audience and to play a role in how that audience interacts with the information presented to them.
You will be working closely with peers to build systems and experiences that are modern, clear, responsive, and beautiful. The ideal candidate is both forward-thinking and hands-on, has a strong sense of ownership and drive for delivery. You will be implementing new features, as well as understanding, working with, and refactoring existing code. At BDG, we pride ourselves on the collaboration between Product, Design, and Engineering and so you will be involved in the entire product lifecycle, from ideation through building, deploying, and continual improvement and evolution.
- Contribute to our many existing open-source projects, or create your own.
- Experiment with new languages, frameworks, and libraries, and understand why they might be a good fit.
- Help build products that will adapt to industry changes for years to come.
- Work closely with engineering, product, and design partners.
- Lead architectural and solution design discussions, ensuring our infrastructure is performant, fault-tolerant, and maintainable.
- Build well-designed, reusable systems.
- Take initiative and produce timely results in a fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Generate ideas for new initiatives and technologies.
- Consistently demonstrate high levels of technical knowledge, ingenuity, and creativity.
- Make significant contributions to the code base.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- Experience designing and building APIs, as well as working with 3rd party APIs.
- Knowledge of performance optimization, either at a language or a system level.
- Experience working with GraphQL.
- Interest in working on backend systems, from APIs and business logic to optimizing databases, streams, and software engines.
- Interest in modeling complex domains and building resilient systems to support real-world applications.
- Strong software development skills and computer science fundamentals.
- Technical initiative and leadership on previous projects.
- Willingness to grow your leadership skills.
Don’t meet these requirements? We encourage you to apply regardless. All exceptional candidates will be considered.
BDG is one of today’s leading global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture through its authentic and trusted storytelling. Audiences turn to our brands – Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the interests engaging the next generation. Founded in 2013, the Company reaches over 223 million readers and social fans and serves hundreds of the world's largest advertisers. BDG has global offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, London, and Paris.