News Editor, Input
Editorial – Input /
Input is seeking a news editor to run the site’s faster-turnaround news operations. We're looking for creative thinkers excited at the prospect of helping define our approach to daily coverage and our voice as an outlet. This role will report to the Deputy Editor at Input.
Input is a consumer technology-focused publication dedicated to bringing a new perspective on the most important, interesting, and vital stories from the world of innovation — on a platform that is uniquely modern, with voices that are authoritative, insightful, and cut through the noise.
You will be responsible for assigning, editing, and tracking the progress of timely posts on the site. You will work alongside senior editors to approve, edit, and manage stories. You will be directly involved in editorial decision-making for some of the most trafficked stories on the site, and will help coordinate daily programming, social distribution, newsletters, with other editors.
We’re looking for people with demonstrated experience and interest in two or more of the following areas: consumer tech news & reviews, gadgets and hardware, innovation, nerd/geek/internet culture, investigative reporting around tech and the companies, people, and ideas driving technology forward.
You should have experience working in the 24/7 news cycle and you should love picking out interesting stories and presenting new angles of coverage. You should have a great network of writers who you love working with and trust you as an editor. You won't be editing a piece every half hour, but you should be comfortable with a high volume on busy days. You must be extremely familiar with the way news travels on the web and social networks, both as a consumer and as a creator.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years of experience editing full time for a national publication, working entirely or predominantly online. This person must be able to edit multiple pieces a day, work in a fast-paced newsroom, and maintain a high level of organization. A sense of design, familiarity with photo editing tools, and knowledge of HTML and/or other languages is a huge plus.
We’re interested in pushing digital storytelling forward, and as a result, we’ve built some really modern products for editors and writers to tell their stories in a myriad of unique ways. You should be able to not only see interesting angles into the news of the day, but help our team find creative ways of expressing those angles through our technology.
Do you have a high metabolism for news? A fascination with the way things work? A critical eye? If you’ve got these qualities and you also happen to be a knockout editor, we’d like to meet you.
This role can be remote or based in our New York City office.
- Assign, edit, and track the progress of timely posts on the site
- Work alongside senior editors to approve, edit, and manage stories
- Be directly involved in editorial decision-making for some of the most trafficked stories on the site
- Help coordinate daily programming, social distribution, newsletters, with other editors
- Have availability to cover night/evening/weekend shifts as needed
- Minimum of two years of experience editing full time for a national publication working entirely or predominantly online
- Must be able to edit multiple pieces a day, work in a fast-paced newsroom, and maintain a high level of organization
- A sense of design and familiarity with photo editing tools
- Knowledge of HTML and/or other languages is a huge plus
- Have experience working in the 24/7 news cycle
- Should love picking out interesting stories and presenting new angles of coverage
- Have a great network of writers who you love working with and trust you as an editor
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 161 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, Input, Gawker, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.